Connect!

Thursday, August 4, 2016

My Pretty Zombie: Madhouse Collection

Hey there geekonistas!

Yeah, okay, I know most people right now are fully in the swing of summer, thinking about cookouts, hanging out by the pool, wearing shorts and sunglasses, and other such warm-weather activities. But there are some among us...a special few... who are impatiently waiting for summer to end so it can just be Halloween season already! Well my spooky friends, this new collection from My Pretty Zombie has you covered - guaranteed to put a little chill down your spine even while the temperatures outside are soaring.



My Pretty Zombie is an indie brand that creates cruelty-free loose eyeshadows, blushes, and setting powders, plus lipsticks, nail polish, and the occasional accessories. While not all of their products are vegan, they do have a wide selection of vegan products and all the ingredients are easy to find on the product pages. Their names tend to be very.. um.. unique... so if you don't enjoy a little bit of gross-out just try not to think too hard about it.


The Madhouse collection consists of three loose eyeshadow pigments, a loose blush, a lipstick, and a nail polish. I chose to get the set minus the nail polish, because I really have a lot of nail polish that I need to start using again before I buy any more. This is a permanent addition to their line, so all of these products are still available on the website - you can buy each separately, or together in a set for a discount. Since I picked up the collection (plus a few extra blushes) during the recent anniversary sale, I also got a free LE gwp eye shadow pigment that we'll be taking a look at as well.

Enough chatter! On to swatches! As usual, all loose eyeshadow pigments are swatched with a flat brush over Geek Chic Cosmetics' Power Up Primer, while loose blush pigments are swatched first full over bare skin with a fluffy blush, then blended out.



The first loose pigment is called "Hysteria", and its a soft lilac grey shade with an orange sheen.



Next up is "Melancholic", my favorite shade out of the collection! This is a blue green with a very strong gold sheen.



The last loose pigment in the collection is called "The Vapors" and it's a deep maroon with a green/blue sheen.



The GWP shade is called "42", which, as we all know, is the answer to the question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, but is also a super metallic yellow gold shade. (Might one say.. a heart of gold?) This jar also got special zombie babe artwork!


The blush that was included in the Madhouse Collection is called "Arsenic Trioxide" and it's a super cool mauve shade with a lavender sheen and subtle blue sparkles. This would also work really well as an eyeshadow shade.


One of the blushes I purchased separate from the collection was originally created for a Hello Waffle Visage box based around Charlotte's Web. It's called "Reclusa" and its a really neat peach color with fine pink shimmers. 



And the last blush I purchased was "MDMA", which is a bright pink with a gold sheen to it. 


The lipstick included in the collection is called "The Vapors", which is appropriate since it is basically "The Vapors" eyeshadow, but in lipstick form. This is super pretty on the lips and smells absolutely delicious, like vanilla buttercream.


And finally, I am a huge Dr. Pickles (the MPZ owner's cat) fan, so when she announced there was going to be a special edition Dr. Pickles enamel pin, of course I had to pick one up. The best part? Her eye glows in the dark!



For this set I decided to actually do two different looks! First up is a cooler look, featuring Hysteria over a sticky base on the lid, with Melancholic along the lower lashline, applied with a damp angled liner brush. The crease is blended out with the Kat Von D Shade + Light Eye Palette.


For the face I used Arsenic Trioxide kind of like a contour blush on the bottom of my cheekbones, then blended it upwards into MDMA. For my lips, of course, I used The Vapors lipstick.


For the other, warmer look, I simply used The Vapors (eyeshadow) over a sticky base, then blended it out with the warm quad from the Kat Von D palette. The duochrome on this shadow is really awesome!



Final Thoughts: This is a really nice collection, I would definitely recommend picking it up if you are interested! Thankfully, as this is now part of the permanent collection, you don't have to rush out to beat the "LE Hype".

So what do you think of the Madhouse Collection? Are you going to pick up any of the colors? Also, I'm sure you noticed I've super simplified my "look" explanations - if you'd rather I go back to the longer explanations where I list all the products I use, not just the spotlight ones, let me know in the comments!

And until next time, thanks for hanging out!

2 comments:

  1. Love the Shadow!! Definitely going to be placing an order real soon! Great review hon!❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! I'm sure you'll love it!

      Delete