Connect!

Saturday, September 5, 2015

August Favorites

Hey there geekonistas!

Ah, the summer is finally winding down, school is starting, and the fire orb of pain in the sky is no longer trying quite as hard to kill me when I go outside. A good time, I think, to look back on all the products that helped me live through another summer of simmering in Sin City. Welcome to my favorites for the month of August!


Favorite New Makeup Product:

I actually discovered a new primer this month - Ulta has just started carrying Catrice cosmetics, and their Prime & Fine Pore Refining Anti-Shine Base is really, really good. And cheap. It doesn't have the silicone feel to it that a primer like Benefit's Porefessional has, but it improves my skin's appearance even before I put on foundation. I have really really oily skin, so I tend to use this primer, powder foundation, and a setting spray and it works like a charm! I still get shiny but at this point I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I have to blot a couple times a day. Sigh.


Favorite Subscription Box:

The winner for this month is...... Fanmail! This month's box was packed full of geeky gear that I'm sure to get good use out of. I especially loved the personal touch of the hand written note and the magnetic bookmarks are just too cute.




Favorite Comic:

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl - written by Ryan North and drawn by Erica Henderson.

This comic is just sheer, pure fun. This is the comic that takes the "superheroes must be serious and gritty and humorless" theme in comics and throws it out the window. Squirrel Girl (AKA Doreen Green) is smart, sassy, and kicks just as many butts as any of her superhero compatriots, while remaining a bit awkward and endearing and funny as hell. If you're a fan of Ryan North's Dinosaur Comics (and you should be, or why are we even friends) or his work on the Adventure Time comics, then you will love Squirrel Girl. Add to that Erica Henderson's perfect and adorable renderings of Doreen and all her friends and you'll find that this Squirrel Girl comic is.. well.. unbeatable!


Favorite TV Show:

Any month that FACEOFF is on the air, the answer will always be FACEOFF.


1. McKenzie Westmore is my woman crush forever. Also her dad is literally the nicest person on Earth. Hubs and I went to see him at the Star Trek con last year and he was so distraught that he couldn't answer everyone's questions in the time he was given onstage that he told them to come find him afterward so he could answer them then. What. A. Sweetheart.
2. It's a competition based on talent. Not trying to "get one over" on other people. Faceoff casts people for their abilities, not because of their confrontational personalities and it really shows - while there is occasional drama, a lot of the time the artists help one another along as much as they can, and seeing that, rather than people stabbing each other in the back, makes me really happy.
3. The Maaakkkeeeeuuupp. The things these contestants come up with are just so crazy cool and visually stunning. If you can watch this and NOT want to immediately go to makeup effects school, you are a stronger person than me.


Favorite Scent:

Watermelon Fresca by Black Violet.


This scent is like summer in a bottle. It's got really strong watermelon, strawberry, and lime notes, with a hint of fresh florals. It smells like picnics and popsicles and limeade and everything that is sweet and fun and good about summer. Plus, the proceeds from the sale of the perfume oil go towards helping out a soaper in need! A good cause and a great scent.


That's it for my favorites this month! Short, I know, but August was a craaaaaazy month for me. Hopefully September will be better.

What were your favorites this month? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment