Connect!

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Fanmail box August 2015: Super Sheroes!

Hey there geekonistas!

I've got a very special subscription box to share with you today. Fanmail is a geek themed subscription box that caters more to the female crowd. (A category that I feel has been very lacking until now.) Fanmail is a very very new service (this is only their 3rd month), so they are still refining their offerings and looking for feedback and suggestions.

The Fanmail box ships the last week of every month and costs between $19-21.99 per month, depending on how long of a subscription you choose. Subscriptions are available in monthly, 6 month, or 12 month lengths.  Fanmail is also the only subscription box I know of that offers true ladies' plus size t-shirts for an extra $2 per box.

So let's tear open this months box! I just.. I love their logo. I want a bitty dragon to guard my treasures too!


This month's theme is Super Sheroes, dedicated to celebrating all female superheroes! Yeah!



 So the first thing I got in the box was this cute little handwritten note card. There was a 2 dollar bill attached to it, a refund for the extra $2 I paid for a larger shirt size since there was no t shirt this month. Bummer. However, I'm kind of weird and I like 2 dollar bills, so I thought this was a neat way to refund my money.



Here is the information card for the month. The front has a list of all the items in the box, and the back has a cool schedule on it of upcoming pop culture things like tv, movies, comics and books. I usually end up keeping my card all month because its so handy! It also contains a hint to next month's theme, which is going to be "Legends of the CW" (and UPN, and the WB (if you're old enough to remember that)) so I'm thinking Supernatural, Arrow... maybe... Buffy?! Veronica Mars?! 


The first item I noticed right away was this Black Canary #1 comic. I love the cover on this, so cool, The info card tells us this is a first printing of this comic, so  I guess that adds to its collectibility? In any case, I'm glad they went with a comic that is a good jumping on point. I haven't read this one yet but I definitely will. 


Squee!! I am a HUGE fan of Agents of SHIELD and Melinda May is one of my all time favorite butt-kickin' ladies. Seriously. So much so that I actually already had this Pop. That's okay, though, my husband has "volunteered" to take her to work so she can join Agent Coulson on his desk. Philinda lives!


Next we have a set of buttons featuring Raven, Black Widow, Batgirl, and Ms. Marvel's symbols. I know some people don't like getting pins in subscription boxes but I personally love it! I wear a lanyard with my badge on it to work and I like having enough pins that I can switch them out occasionally.



The cuteness.. its just too much! These are a set of three magnetic bookmarks featuring Storm, Spider-Gwen, and Thor. I always need bookmarks, so these will see plenty of use. And look, look, when you turn them around....


Ahhh~! Too cute!





Not even done yet! The next item is this Wonder Woman wristband. It's made of a stretchy plasticky material. Probably not something I will wear but cute and still a good addition, I think.




And the final item, carefully packaged in a red jewelry box, is a silver necklace. I have a couple problems with this one, unfortunately. The quality is fine, and the design is small enough so that its something I might actually wear, except for the fact that the design is "Batman vs. Superman". Personal preference - I'm not looking forward to that movie at all, so wearing jewelry based on it doesn't really work for me. That, of course, falls under the "not everything in a box is going to be for everyone" caveat that everyone who gets a box full of mystery items every month should be aware of. More than that though, I was kind of surprised to find one of the major items in the box dedicated to Super SHEroes was based on Batman and Superman. Just felt kind of off to me. I'm sure one of my friends will love it though!

So what did you think of this month's fanmail box? What fandoms/items would you like to see in the future? I'm personally hoping for some anime, STEVEN UNIVERSE, and more t-shirts!



No comments:

Post a Comment