Connect!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Corvus Cosmetics - The Roses Collection

Hey there geekonistas!

First off, some posting news! I've decided to change my schedule a bit, and instead of posting Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I'm going to have my "set" posting days as Monday and Thursday, and then have bonus posts in between. This will allow me to write more in-depth reviews as well as keep up with any news or goodies I receive.

Anyway, today I wanted to share with you a review of Corvus Cosmetics' "The Roses" collection. I ordered this collection because I was so impressed with the sample of "Fire Gang" that was included in a Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet that I wanted to try more of their shadows. Every color in this collection is based off of rose gold, and the shadows are supposed to work well either used together or separately. It contains both matte and satin shadows - the mattes are swatched on bare skin, while the satins are over Geek Chic Cosmetics' Power Up Primer.

Appropriately enough, Corvus' packaging features the silhouette of either a crow or a raven - a member of the Corvidae family.



The first color is called Mademoiselle. This is a matte, super pale pink shade that would be gorgeous for a browbone highlight. It's got great pigmentation and blendability, even without a primer underneath.

Next we have Cherie. Cherie is a pale pink with a satiny finish.


The next color is called Champagne. This is the true rose gold with a metallic finish. Unfortunately, I had some weird application issues with this one. You will notice some white streaks in the swatch below - at first I thought I had just not cleaned my brush thoroughly enough between swatches, but, upon trying it with a completely clean brush, the same problem happened. I'm not sure what to make of it, to be honest. It might just that the pigment wasn't mixed well enough?




Enchantee is the next color. It's described as a dark brown satin. This is a highly pigmented, deep dark rich chocolaty brown.




And the final color is Soiree. This is a deep purple satin. It can be tough to do purples well, but this is a nice shade with good, even application.


Bonus swatch! This is the "Fire Gang" shadow that I ordered in full size after receiving the sample in my V.C. It's a bright pink with a gold sheen and pink and yellow glitter.



Final thoughts: Aside from the white streak issue I had with Champagne, the shadows seem to be of a very good quality. They are very finely milled, so the application is nice and smooth, but it does have a tendency to go billowing off in a cloud of color at the slightest air disturbance. I thought the colors were good, solid shadows that could be used in many different looks. None of them (except Fire Gang) really blew me away, as in "I need this on my eyeballs right now" but I can definitely see myself reaching for them as great blending and highlighting shades.

What do you think? Have you tried Corvus Cosmetics? Do you love rose gold as much as I do?





No comments:

Post a Comment