Connect!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Blogmas Day Thirty: Makeup Room Tour and Storage

Hey there geekonistas!

Wow, I can't believe it's almost the end of December, and almost the end of Blogmas! Today I thought I might show you all around my makeup room and share some of my storage methods with you, both current and future plans for better storage.

This isn't a comprehensive list of all my makeup by any means- that would take more time than I'm sure anyone would want to spend here! This is just kind of a quick overview in case you were curious about how I store a collection of makeup that is far more vast than any one person needs. Also, some pictures of my cats, because as much as I would like to think this is my room, it's actually theirs. It's all theirs. All of the rooms. Theirs.




This is an overview of the room in general. It's kind of like an alcove off the master bedroom. I wanted to set up in this room because it's away from the bathroom, keeping moisture out of my collection, but of course that means running back and forth any time I need water. I know the walls are pretty bare right now, I'm a super fussy decorator and I won't put something up unless I feel like it's perfect. Of course, hunting for the "perfect" thing also takes energy and I'm lazy as hell.


This is the majority of my makeup storage. I got this open sided book case at Target, I really liked the style and it seemed to have plenty of space for both storage and display. Some of the packaging, especially on palettes, is just too pretty to hide!

 Top shelf: This is where I've hidden my desperately-in-need-of-organization-and-weeding lip product collection. The Strobing box is actually empty, I just can't deal with throwing it away yet.

Second shelf: This is where you can see I was very very weak during the Sephora sale and picked up the Mi Vida Loca palette even though it's so giagantic. Also some glass birds I got at Michael's, and the boxes to some of the containers I have on my vanity that I thought were so pretty. There's also the Edward Scissorhands palette but I might switch that out for something else soon.

Third shelf: More packaging displays, plus my liquid lipsticks and lip liners. I got the acrylic containers on Amazon for pretty cheap, and they are the perfect size to store those longer lip products, eyeliners and brushes.


This shelf is the bulk of my loose pigment storage. I bought this 3-drawer acrylic storage box from Amazon as well after seeing Bailey B do a comparison of makeup storage options on YouTube. Even though the drawers stick a little bit, I really like this box and I want another one! I've got it organized by company, and then within each company, by color. Or at least that was the plan. I've veered off course on that a little bit but I'm going to try to do better this year.

This shelf is more display worthy packaging, including the Disney Beauty Books that I never use but I just can't resist.


And finally, the "misc" shelf. This is where I store palettes I am not currently using, along with these plastic drawers that I don't remember where I got. This is basically the "everything else I don't use everyday" storage for stuff like bronzer, highlighter, eye liner (liquid and pencil), single shadows, mascara, and primers. On top of the drawers is my ColourPop eye shadow collection and yes, I am aware I have a problem.


Whatcha doin?
On to the vanity! This is how I usually have to do my makeup, peeking around from behind a cat. Well, that's all right. At least his giant fluffy tail also knocks all my loose powders onto the floor. I have a cat tree in the room but its obviously much more interesting to be right in my face. I store all the palettes I'm currently using in the two right hand drawers, while the left hand ones hold some weirdly random junk that I really need to sort through. And flash tattoos. GUYS I HAVE SO MANY FLASH TATTOOS.


This is the neatened-up version of my vanity. This is where I keep all the stuff I use on a daily basis, plus all the stuff I am trying out for the blog. Or just trying to remember to use up. The acrylic organizer in the middle I got from BH Cosmetics, while the brush holders are more of the containers I got from Amazon, plus a tumbler I think I picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond?

Gratuitous Gizmo Pic

And I think that about covers it! I do have a small bookcase next to my vanity that I need to shovel out that I think will become home to my lip products once they are properly stored and organized, plus more loose pigments in a second one of those handy acrylic drawer sets. (I have a small cardboard box of pigments just hanging out right now and I want to take care of those, plus leave room to grow. With so many subscription boxes every month, it's necessary!)

I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far, but I know I have a long way to go, too! How do you guys organize your collections? Any tips for me? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for hanging out!

What I feel like when I put makeup on.

2 comments:

  1. I love your makeup room !!! I just want to sit on your lounge and read a book. You also have a fantastic pigement collection.
    I live in a small place and my bedroom has no place for a vanity at all. It barely fits our bed and one (shared) night stand. So I store my most used makeup in my closet in two mini biseley 5 drawer cabinets from the container store. Overflow makeup goes into a vintage makeup case but it's out of sight so I always forget about my stuff in there. My big makeup brushes are stored in ceramic initial mugs from Anthropologie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you so much! Living in tight spaces can be very difficult, but it sounds like you're making the best of it! I may have to check out those drawers, I am so addicted to finding new organizational stuff.

    ReplyDelete