Connect!

Thursday, May 5, 2016

April 2016 Favs and Flops!

Hey there geekonistas!

I had a job interview this week! It's in the same library system as the job I currently have, but a different position. I haven't heard back from them yet, but let me tell you.. if they gave out jobs based purely on how much one wanted them... I would have this in the bag. So while I'm on pins and needles waiting for that call, let's check out what I was loving during the month of April, plus a few products that didn't work so well for me.



Favorite New Foundation:
Urban Decay Naked Skin One and Done Hybrid Complexion Perfector



I'm not really a heavy foundation wearer. I don't like the way most foundations feel on my skin, and with my oily mess it's almost impossible to keep in place for a long period of time. Plus, I just don't feel like I need that much coverage. That's why I really like the One and Done. It feels very lightweight, looks very natural, and both blurs pores and evens out my skin tone. If you like a medium to heavy coverage, this is definitely not for you, though I find I can easily add powder foundation on top on those days when I feel like I need a little more. Overall, I think this is my new go-to staple!

Favorite Subscription Box:
Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet




I was so very pleasantly surprised by this month's VC that it just had to go on the list! Not only is "Stormborn" one of my favorite new lip colors, the three eye shadows are both gorgeous and gave me a lot of inspiration for eye looks! It's not often that a subscription inspires me to play so much.

Favorite New to Me Discovery:
Too Faced Sweethearts Perfect Flush Blush




I finally got my hands on the Sweet Peach Palette! I just happened to be perusing the Too Faced website when it came back into stock and I grabbed it up so quick I must have made the servers spin! But strangely enough, once I received it, that wasn't even the star of the order! That honor actually belonged to the Too Faced Sweetheart blush in "Peach Beach" that I just fell in love with from the moment I opened it. The packaging, the colors, and the quality all combine to take me to my blush happy place. I liked it so much that the next time I was at Ulta, I had to pick up the new "Sparkling Bellini" shade as well! Let's be honest here, I'm probably going to end up collecting them all. SO. CUTE!

Favorite New TV Show:
Wynonna Earp



Aside from the fact that I am slightly confused about where this show takes place (is it Canada? Alaska? Somewhere in the Western U.S.? I'd think the Western U.S., but in the very first show there was a train passing by that said "Canadian Pacific".... but is that an indication of where the show takes place or just where it was filmed? So many questions), I am totally in love with Wynonna. It's basically the story of a troubled young woman, heir to the Earp family name, who comes back to her hometown and has to fight demons due to the curse that comes along with it. The show is based off a comic book, but it's certainly not required reading and honestly, even if you do want to seek it out I would skip the first half and go straight to the more recent books, which I affectionately call the "Wynonna finally finds a shirt that fits" part of the series.
I enjoy the show because it can be scary, and genuinely funny, and sometimes both at once. I like Wynonna as a heroine because she's not perfect - she has a troubled past, she's reckless, and she makes a lot of mistakes, but she's always working to move forward and her flaws help keep her human. If you are a fan of Lost Girl or any of those kind of supernatural based shows, you would probably really enjoy it as well.

Flop :
Milani Amore Mattallic Lip Cream




I was in Walgreens when I found these and I was immediately drawn in by the "Milani Amore Lip Cream" name. The Amore Matte Lip creams have somewhat of a cult status amongst the beauty community, so I figured I had to pick these up to give them a try. Uh, unfortunately they just didn't seem to work as well as the originals. I got the shades "Matte About You" and "Cinemattic Kiss" and they both applied really patchily. Plus I didn't care for the frosty kind of finish, but that is personal preference and nothing wrong with the formula. They also smell REALLY intensely of buttercream, which was overwhelming even to me and I love foodie scents. Oh, well.


And that's it for faves and flops this month! Do you have any favorites to share? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for hanging out!




No comments:

Post a Comment