Connect!

Monday, May 23, 2016

Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet : "One Lonely Tear" May 2016

Hey there geekonistas!

We're back again for another round with the Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet! This month the theme is the movie "Cry-Baby", a John Waters film starring Johnny Depp that I've never seen! So, I apologize if I don't get any of the references and things. What I do know is that this month comes with some great colors!



First, the details: the Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet is a monthly subscription service that includes a number of mini sized loose eye shadow pigments (anywhere from 4-6)  and/or lip and other bonus products, sometimes including a guest product from another indie company, all created around a specific theme such as a movie, book, or fandom. It costs $12.90 per month including shipping. There is currently a wait list to get the subscription which you can join by emailing Notoriously Morbid, and sometimes you can catch one time "trial" subscriptions (good for that month only) on the website.

This month the subscription came with three loose eyeshadow pigments, a mini size "Mystic Matte" (liquid to matte lipstick), and an information card explaining the theme, each product, a hint for next month's VC, and a discount code good for 25% off your order until 6/15/16. Appropriately enough, the sub also included a "Cry Baby" candy, which I thought was funny but I won't eat since I don't like really sour things.

As usual, all loose pigments are swatched over Geek Chic Cosmetics' Power Up Primer.


The first pigment up is called "CryBaby". This is a white base with a really strong aqua sheen and silver and blue sparkles. It's a gorgeous color that makes a fun highlight! It's also lip safe, so it might be fun as a lipstick topper.


Next up is "Hatchet Face". This is a bright red with red sparkles. Definitely a lot of fun to work with, and I don't have much like it in my collection. Unfortunately, this one is not lip safe - it would make one hell of a statement lip color!



The final pigment is called "High School Hell Cat". I love the name, and the color is super pretty as well. This one is a total glitter bomb with a "black base with blue to violet and red to orange shifting sparkles". As you'll see in my look below, this made a totally gorgeous liner!



And last but far from least is this month's Mystic Matte in the shade "Scrape". Guys, I almost didn't swatch this for you because there is so little of it and I am a greedy guts that just wants to keep it all for my lips. Yeah, it's that good. Luckily, Notoriously Morbid has heard our cries of despair and will be offering a limited number of full sizes of this shade when they release their new Mystic Mattes collection later this month. I am ALL OVER that.

Unnnnnnhhhh so pretty

For the look I figured, hey, the theme is from a John Waters movie, why not go over the top, right? Well, over the top for me anyway, which for most people is probably just barely starting at the bottom of the hill.
I started by priming and prepping my eyes as usual.
For my brows I used Darling Girl's clear brow gel (Ka-BROW!) and their brow powder in "Mae".
To act as my transition shade I used my trusty Kat Von D Shade + Light Palette in Succubus (reddish brown).
I then darkened the very outer v and crease of my eye with Shax (black).
I then used a Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil in Rust to create a reddish base on my lid. I packed "Hatchet Face" over the top of it to really intensify the color.
I took "High School Hell Cat" and mixed it with a drop of Darling Girl's Superstar Serum (a liquid mixing medium) and used that as liner and to create a wing.
I used "CryBaby" to highlight my inner corner and just below my brows.
My tight, water, and lower lashlines are all Hourglass 1.5 mm gel liner, and my lashes are Charlotte Tilbury's Legendary Lashes.



For my face I used Charlotte Tilbury's Magic Foundation in Fair 1, set with Catrice's Prime and Fine Powder.
I decided to actually contour today, using my Notoriously Morbid blush is "Necromancy" to do so.
My blush is Urban Decay's Rapture, with a little bit of "CryBaby" for highlight.
For my lips of course I used "Scrape".

And that's the finished look!


Final Thoughts: Even though I had no clue about this month's theme, I enjoyed the colors, and the variety of colors, that came with the Vanishing Cabinet this month. Not to mention that "Scrape" is my new favorite Mystic Matte since "Juju" went away!

The hint for next month is: "Never sens a rose unless dyed black as a warning. And if one is sent to you, destroy it along with the sender. Emotionally of course. It's not like we kill people..." According to my research this is a quote from the movie "Jawbreaker", which is another one I haven't seen. *Shrug* I trust the Vanishing Cabinet will be fun regardless.

What did you think of this month's Vanishing Cabinet? As you going to pick up Scrape when it's released? (I'll totally fight you for it...)

Till next time, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment