Connect!

Monday, June 13, 2016

Hello Waffle Cosmetics: Visage - June 2016

Hey there geekonistas!

Well, I absolutely predicted this. But it's not totally my fault! I mean, a couple of my other subscription services ended, and there was no wait list! How could I resist getting back into the Hello Waffle Cosmetics' Visage? Plus, the owner is putting the shop on a four month hiatus while she adjusts to her new job (Visages will continue as usual), so this will be the only way for me to get my Hello Waffle fix until the fall!


Anyway, in case you are unfamiliar, Visage is a monthly subscription box service from Hello Waffle Cosmetics. It costs $25 a month, plus shipping, and includes a mix of full and sample size items for eyes, lips and face, including one product from a guest indie company. I believe the wait list right now is very small to non-existant, so it's a good time to sign up! Since the shop is currently on hiatus there won't be any overstock available until it reopens.

This month the theme is one of my favorite childhood books - "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", by Roald Dahl! This book, an enduring classic that has spawned several major motion pictures, is about a small, poor boy who wins the chance of a lifetime: a tour of the amazing. magical, and mysterious Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory! I tell you though, reading this book as a kid set me up for some major disappointments when I finally got into the candy and pastry making profession myself.


The Visage this month includes a sheet containing information about each product, the theme, and instructions on creating a look with the enclosed products, three full size loose eye shadow pigments, a "halfling" size blush, and a full size liquid lipstick from guest indie, Eccentric Cosmetics. Let's check it out!



First up we have "Tiny House". This is a matte burgundy shade. The pigmentation on this one is really nice, but as a loose matte shadow it was really hard to work with. It works a lot better with no primer whatsoever underneath it, but because of my oily, hooded lids, I can't wear eyeshadow without primer. You can see in the eye look below the trouble blending this out gave me.


Next up is "A Love of Cocoa Beans". Similar to "Tiny House", this is a brown toned shade with a lovely purple shimmer.



Of course, no Charlie and the Chocolate Factory theme would be complete without a nod to the Golden Ticket that changed Charlie Bucket's life forever! "The Golden Ticket" lives up to its name, being a gold base with a super intense metallic gold shine.


The blush is absolutely my favorite portion of this month's Visage! It's called "Glass Elevator" and it's a dusty pink with gorgeous finish that almost has that highlighting blush quality to it.


And finally, the guest indie this month, the new-to-me Eccentric Cosmetics provided a gorgeous shade of liquid lipstick called "Wonka's Candy Land". Unfortunately, even though the color is absolutely lovely and the formula very comfortable to wear, I found the application to be somewhat patchy.



For the look I kind of followed along with the instruction sheet this month. After priming my eye I used "Tiny House" in my crease and on my lower lash line, blended out with a skin toned matte shadow around the edges. I'll never claim that I have the world's greatest makeup application skills, but as you can see I failed even more than usual blending out "Tiny House". I applied a little bit of a sticky base just on the lids and patted "The Golden Ticket" on top. For the liner I foiled "A Love of Cocoa Beans" with a drop of Darling Girl's Superstar Serum and applied the wing with an angled liner brush.


For the rest of my face I used Urban Decay's One and Done foundation, then applied "Glass Elevator" lightly on my cheeks. For the lips of course I used "Wonka's Candy Land" and that's it!


Final Thoughts: Even though a couple of the products this month were a little more difficult to work with, for the most part the colors were pretty enough to make the extra effort worth it. I especially like the blush and I will get a lot of use out of it!

What did you think of this month's Visage? What was your favorite childhood book? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment