Connect!

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

May Favs and Flops

Hey there geekonistas!

Another month has come and gone, and now... it's official, right? We're in summer? YAS time to wear coconut everything!! But before I run off to douse myself in whatever body spray seems the most tropical, let's take a look at my favs and flops for the month of May!



Favs:


Favorite DuoChromes: Spring-Heeled Jack and Doppleganger

May was the month of awesome duochromes, for sure! Notoriously Morbid brought us Spring-Heeled Jack, a breathtaking orange/blue/purple/bronze duochrome from their permanent "State of Fear" collection, while Glamour Doll Eyes brought us "Doppleganger", a spectacular blue/pink shifting pigment in their OTM subscription service.

Spring-Heeled Jack in Action
Doppleganger in Action



Favorite Face Gadget: Luna Foreo Mini

I know people talk up the sonic skincare devices quite a bit, and until now I thought it was all just hype and sponsorship. That is, until I tried out the Luna Foreo for myself. I bought it with a hefty discount, under Ulta's generous return policy, fully intending to return it if I didn't feel a major difference in my skin. Surprisingly enough, after using it for a month I've felt a major difference in my skin! After I first use it in the shower, my skin feels way cleaner than it used to, plus my skin feels much softer. Color me pleasantly surprised.




Favorite Foundation: Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation in 01 Fair 

"Didn't you just talk about your favorite foundation being the Urban Decay One and Done?" Yes, yes I did. But that was before I tried this one! Don't get me wrong, I still love the UD and I am still using it, especially in the summer, but this Charlotte Tilbury foundation has done something truly magical - made a medium coverage foundation that I am actually comfortable wearing! The finish on this is so natural, your face still looks like skin when you're done applying! And it is so lightweight that I forget I'm wearing anything at all. Combine those two traits with the fact that even by the end of the day, my oil spill of a forehead hasn't caused it to break down or budge... and we've got a winner!



Favorite Scent: Pacifica Hawaiian Ruby Guava

I did warn you that I'm ready to douse myself in tropical scents, right? Well, okay, actually I've been using tropical scents since some time in March. Heeee. This one is definitely a favorite! I adore eating and drinking guava flavored things, so it was only a matter of time before I wanted to smell like guava too, I guess? This body lotion has a SUPER sweet and juicy guava/citrus scent with a subtle hint of coconut. Perfect for summer, and for pretending it's summer even when it's not.




Favorite YouTube Channel: Thrift Thick

If you aren't following Cassie (Thrift Thick) on YouTube, you are really missing out! And no, not just because her cat, Galileo, is the most adorable thing in the universe (after my kitties, of course). Cassie's warm personality and gentle demeanor always make me feel relaxed - so much so that I watch her videos even when I'm 100% not interested in whatever product she's testing out. Cassie does a range of videos, from "YouTube Made Me Buy It" where she tests out some of the most YouTube hyped products, to thrift hauls and unboxings - all with adorable songs. Go subscribe to her, you won't be disappointed!



Flops:

Not getting the job

Kind of a personal flop for me this month - I didn't get the job that I applied and interviewed for that I was so excited about. That was a pretty rough blow, but it wasn't a total loss! One of the other people at work got the job that she applied for, so I was able to take over her shifts! While this has created a little bit of havoc in my posting schedule, hopefully it won't be long before I'm settled in and adjusted.

Physician's Formula Liquid Eyeliner.

So, this isn't exactly a flop, because I love, love, love the formula and the brush tip. It's like a way less expensive version of the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper! The flop part is the pigmentation. I bought the color "black" and really.. that's false advertising. If anything it should be sold as "gray".


Just for fun I thought I would swatch out and compare all of my different brush- and felt-tip black liquid eyeliners. As you can see, Physician's Formula did not compare favorably, pigment wise. The surprise winner? The novelty Creer Beaute Sailor Moon Miracle Romance Eyeliner. Huh. The CK and the Eyeko had great pigmentation, but they are felt-tip liners. instead of brush-tip,  which I feel hampers the ability to be precise.



And that's it for May's favs and flops! Did you have any favs or flops this month? Let me know in the comments!

And as always, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment