Connect!

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Darling Girl Cosmetics : Mythical Creatures Collection Part Two

Hey there geekonistas!

As promised, today is part two of my Darling Girl "Mythical Creatures" collection swatch-a-thon. Today we will be featuring the five cool toned shades in the collection. If you missed part one, you can check it out here.





The first pigment in the "cool" section is "Kitsune". In Japanese folklore, a Kitsune is a fox spirit that can be very tricky and sly, or very loyal, wise, and kind. This is a sparkly silver shadow with a pink sheen that can be very shy to capture on camera... just like a wily fox spirit!




If you remember the Harry Potter stories, a hippogriff (like Buckbeak) is sort of a cross between a horse and a raptor. The "Hippogriff" pigment is grey with a blue sheen, just the color I would imagine a hippogriff's coat to be.



Stay away from the water when a "Bunyip" is nearby! Hailing from Australia, the bunyip is  a ferocious creature that devours anyone who wanders too close to its watery home. No one really seems to agree on what a bunyip actually looks like.. maybe because no one has ever encountered one and lived to tell the tale? Luckily, this pigment isn't so hard to find - it's the earthy green of a quiet pond or swamp, overlaid with a gold shimmer.


Travellers to the deserts of Egypt know all about the mysterious Sphinx. Said to have the body of a winged lion and the face of a human, the Sphinx was the ultimate guardian, posing riddles to any human who wished to access what the Sphinx guarded and devouring anyone who could not give them the proper answer. This appropriately mysterious pigment has a teal base that is almost hidden by the intense gold shine.



No trip through the world of mythical creatures would be complete without a stop in the hidden depths of the ocean. Here the "Kraken", a gigantic squid-like creature, resides, ready to rise from the abyss and drag down the ships of any who displeased its fickle master.  This pigment is the cold blue of the waters the Kraken inhabits, with a mystical green and copper sheen.



Since I broke the collection into two parts, I decided to do two different eye looks! The first is a look featuring the warm tone shadows.
For this look I used "Manticore" in the crease over regular primer. It actually worked surprisingly well as a matte shade when not over a sticky base!
For the lid I used "Chimera" on the inner half and "Harpy" on the outer half, over Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy. (A sticky base)
For the lower lashline I used a damp brush dipped in "Basilisk".





For my lips I mixed "Phoenix" with some Lip Lock from Darling Girl cosmetics (if you haven't tried this yet, you totally should! It's a liquid that you can mix with any lip safe pigment to create your own liquid to matte lipsticks). It gave a really cool metallic effect!


For the look featuring cool toned shadows, I used "Sphinx" in the crease over regular primer, then on the outer half of the lid over Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy.
The inner half of the lid is "Bunyip", also over Pixie Epoxy. These two shades have a very similar gold sheen to them so they weren't as differentiated as I would have liked.
The lower lashline features "Kraken", applied with a damp brush, and the inner corner highlight is courtesy of "Hippogriff".



For the lips, I actually forget what lipstick I used... I'm so sorry! But I do know that I patted "Kitsune" over the center of the lips to create a really cool effect.



Final Thoughts: I don't know what to say that I haven't said already! Overall, I really enjoyed the variety of colors, and there are some definite standout shades here, like "Chimera" and "Sphinx". The quality is high as usual and the shadows were easy to work with.

So, what do you think of the Darling Girl Cosmetics Mythical Creatures collection? Are you going to pick any of the shadows up? Let me know in the comments!

And thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment