Connect!

Monday, September 12, 2016

Brija Cosmetics: Halloween Heroes(ish) Collection

Hey there geekonistas!

I'm so excited today! I'm bringing you a review of a brand-new (to me) brand, Brija Cosmetics! I first encountered Brija Cosmetics on Instagram, where it has quite a loyal following. Their themes and philosophy seemed to be my cup of tea, so I thought I should check them out.

brija cosmetics halloween indie makeup eyeshadow

According to their information page, Brija Cosmetics has been around since 2013 and is "100% vegan, cruelty free, gluten free, dye free, and uses organic oils". They also offer and use only FDA approved glitters, which is really cool. Their collections draw inspiration from a variety of sources - television, movies, books, gemstones, and pop culture.

For my first outing I wanted to try out a range of shadows, so I picked up the "Halloween Heroes(ish)" collection, which features five loose eyeshadow pigments based on some of our favorite Halloween personalities. I really should have picked up some matte shadows as well to test that formula but that will have to wait for another time, I guess. It probably won't be a long wait since they have an entirely matte "Gilmore Girls" collection and which I just recently started watching/getting obsessed with. I also picked up the powder eyeshadow primer since it is supposed to be helpful for oily eyelids.

As usual, all loose pigments are swatched over Geek Chic Cosmetics Power Up Primer. 


Starting out, the first shade is called "Can I Keep You?"  This shade is based on the friendliest Friendly Ghost, Casper. True to it's inspiration it is a ghostly white with a turquoise sheen. The pigmentation is fantastic on this and the duochrome is very noticeable.

brija cosmetics casper eyeshadow
brija cosmetics can i keep you eyeshadow swatch fair skin

Next up is "Tired of the Same Old Thing", based on my personal favorite Halloween personality, Jack Skellington! This shade is a gorgeous, intense bronze with red sparkles.
 
brija cosmetics nightmare before christmas eyeshadow
brija cosmetics jack eyeshadow swatch fair skin

This shade is based on three characters from another of my favorite Halloween movies (I have a lot of them, okay?) This is called "Glorious Morning Magic" and it's based on the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus. It's a dark grey brown base with blue, pink, purple and green sparkles.

brija cosmetics hocus pocus eyeshadow
brija cosmetics glorious morning magic eyeshadow swatch

 Next we have a shade based on one of the OG Goth Girls, Wednesday Addams. This shade is called "Are They Made From Real Girl Scouts?" and it's a chocolate-y brown base with kind of a bronze sheen and green sparkle.

brija cosmetics wednesday addams eyeshadow
are they made from real girl scouts swatch fair skin brija cosmetics


The final shade in the collection is called "You Are Not My Mother" and it's based on Coraline, from the movie/ book of the same name. This color is a vibrant navy blue with a blue sheen and purple, green, and blue sparkles.


brija cosmetics you are not my mother eyeshadow swatch fair skin


The Powder Eyeshadow Primer is a unique product that I've never seen anywhere else. It contains oil absorbing ingredients like rice powder and kaolin clay and is supposed to be applied before a sticky base in order to keep your eyeshadow crease free all day. Using it, I didn't really notice a lot of difference between this and setting my regular primer with a matte shadow, but I like the idea.

brija cosmetics powder eye primer


Final Thoughts: It's always nice to discover new cruelty-free indie brands, and Brija Cosmetics definitely has the quality and aesthetic that will keep me coming back for more. I will be picking up some of their matte shadows and some of their other products to test out in the very near future, so are there any particular ones you would like to see me try? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time, thanks for hanging out!


3 comments:

  1. Lovw this! Great Review!! One Question, is Glorious Morning Magic kinda like Glamour doll eyes subscription Drive-Thru? Really Love the dark Brown with green or blue n sparkles!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovw this! Great Review!! One Question, is Glorious Morning Magic kinda like Glamour doll eyes subscription Drive-Thru? Really Love the dark Brown with green or blue n sparkles!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! I would say that they are very similar - Glorious Morning Magic is just a touch darker and has a bit stronger of a green sheen, but other than that they are almost identical. I put together a side by side comparison here - https://flic.kr/p/MrwzkT - That has Drive-Thru on the top and Glorious Morning Magic on the bottom. Hope that helps!

      Delete