Connect!

Monday, February 29, 2016

Fanmail : February 2016 "Cracking the Case"

Hey there geekonistas!

Spring has sprung here in the desert! The trees are budding, the flowers are blooming, and I am still sick as death. Apparently my bronchitis managed to segue into a "raging sinus infection" (my doctor's words, not mine) so, yay I guess? At least I don't have bronchitis anymore?

In any case, sick or not, I wanted to share this month's FanMail box with you before I fell any more behind on my subscription boxes! FanMail is a monthly subscription box "by lady geeks, for lady geeks". It contains geeky/nerdy items and accessories and is usually mailed out at the end of each month. Subscriptions can be purchased either month to month ($21.99 per box) as a 3 month prepay ($63.00 up front, which works out to $21.00 per box), 6 month prepay ($120.00 up front, $20.00 per box) or a 12 month prepay ($228.00 up front, $19.00 per box). A larger tshirt size (2xl-4xl) costs an additional $2.00 per month. These are "true" plus sizes though, not the juniors plus sizes a lot of boxes will try to pass off as plus size.




This month the theme is "Cracking the Case" and it features items from some of television's most popular detectives. So let's get out our magnifying glasses and slap on our deerstalkers, 'cause it's time to investigate!



Clue #1: I want to.. have a copy of that poster.

This month's info card is SO AWESOME! I'm totally putting this up on my wall! It features the "I Want to Believe" poster popularized by the X-Files. Appropriate since the new mini-series reboot just ended... ON THE BIGGEST CLIFFHANGER EVER! AAAAAAHHHHH can you even believe it??? Ahem. On the back is the usual information about each item, plus movies, tv shows, books, comics, and games that are coming out in March.


Clue #2: I am Shirt-locked.

This month's t shirt has a Sherlock design. I thought the style looked rather familiar and I was right! This t shirt was designed by Risa Rodil, who also designed the Supernatural shirt for the "Legends of the CW" box! The Hounds of Baskerville was one of my favorite Sherlock episodes (and the original story is one of my favorites, as well) so I am super stoked for this shirt!


Clue #3: Lecter? I barely knew her!

This is a FanMail exclusive "Drink the Rude" mini-goblet, based on the show "Hannibal". All I've heard about Hannibal is how good it is, but, shamefully, I haven't watched it. I just haven't really been in a place in my life to watch something that dark right now, no matter how well done it is. My loss, I guess! This goblet is made of plastic, not glass, though the plastic is quite thick and sturdy, not cheap feeling at all. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet since it seems kind of small for drinking anything out of (only about 4" tall)- maybe storage of some sort?


Clue #4: X-Files and Tribulations

This is a tiny reproduction of an actual X-File! I don't know if this is based on a case from the show or not (I've started watching the old ones but I'm not very far yet!) but regardless, it's pretty cool!


Clue #5: All Evidence to the Contrary

These were all grouped together in an "Evidence" bag, which I thought was pretty neat. There are two cards sealed in plastic - one a promo card for Veronica Mars, the other a replica of Jessica Jones' business card. (According to the info card, you can actually call this number and get Jessica's voice mail!) The third item is a mini notebook emblazoned with "Nelson and Murdock, Attorneys at Law". Don't get me wrong I really dig the notebook but some part of me wishes it said "Avocados at Law" instead.


Clue #6: Clyde and Seek

I am a HUGE fan of Elementary, so this next item was absolutely perfect for me! If you don't know the show, this is inspired by Watson and Sherlock's pet tortoise, Clyde. Yeah, it's technically just a necklace with a turtle on it that I could have gotten anywhere, but the association made me smile. The back even has "Clyde" engraved on it.


Clue #7: Following the Paper Trail

This is a first run printing of the first issue of "Paper Girls", which is a comic I actually had not heard of before now. Image Comics describes the story thus: "In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Stand By me meets War of the Worlds in the mysterious young adult adventure". It's written by Brian K. Vaughan, who writes Saga, and it's drawn by Cliff Chiang, who's best know for his recent work on Wonder Woman. I am excited to check this comic out!


Final Solution: Well, obviously, I had a lot of fun with this month's box! (Please forgive the puns, it is simply in my nature and I can't help it.) I'm not sure how I feel about the value of these items - a lot of them do seem like "toss-ins", but overall I am happy with what I received for the money. Next month's theme (which was supposed to be this month's theme but got delayed due to shipping woes) is "Mostly Dead" so look forward to some macabre delights!

What did you think of this month's FanMail Box? Who is your favorite detective of all time? Let me know in the comments!

And, until next time, Case Closed!


No comments:

Post a Comment