Connect!

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Hello Waffle Cosmetics : Visage February 2016

Hey there geekonistas!

Oh man, this is such a sad post to write. But this is it! The time has finally come to end it. This is my last... Visage subscription. *sadface* Just to be clear, I did not cancel Visage because I was in any way unhappy with the products or the customer service (Christine is seriously just the best and you all KNOW my love for Hello Waffle products). I just thought it was time to start checking out some of the other subscriptions out there and, as my most expensive makeup subscription, unfortunately Visage was first up on the chopping block to make way for the new ones. I already regret it and I will probably sign back up again but I'm trying to be strong!

Also, in the vein of constantly trying to improve my makeup and photographic skills, today is the first day I am adding a new feature to my reviews where I try to use the products featured to create a look and then photograph it for you. Hopefully this will turn out well and you will get to see the colors in action rather than just as swatches on my arm!

Anyway, in case you are unfamiliar, Visage is a monthly subscription box service from Hello Waffle Cosmetics. It costs $25 a month, plus shipping, and includes a mix of full and sample size items for eyes, lips and face, including one product from a guest indie company. There is currently a wait list to subscribe, which you can join by emailing Hello Waffle. There are also often extras from previous Visages posted for purchase on the website, so if you like a particular color you can sometimes grab it even without a subscription!




This month the theme is Bluebeard, a story about one of the biggest contenders for "Worst Fairytale Husband Ever", by Charles Perrault. It includes 3 "halfling" size eye shadow pigments, one full size eyeshadow pigment that can double as a highlighter, and a special full size lipstick from guest indie Howl Cosmetics! There's also the usual information sheet with a description of each product, plus two recommended looks using the products and a copy of the story that inspired this month's theme. Let's check it out!

First up, the lipstick this month! This is a lovely berry shade called "Fairy Key" It's quite matte, but it went on fairly smoothly, without too much tugging. And just look at that opacity! Gorgeous. *Note to self: Stop swatching the intense, stain-y lip products first.


Next up are the loose pigment shadows. As usual, these are all swatched over Geek Chic Cosmetics' Power Up Primer.




The first color is the full size pigment/highlighter, "Plates of Gold and Silver". This is an off-white base with silvery and gold sheens to it.  Since it doubles as a highlighter I've also swatched it on bare skin for you. As a highlight this can get super intense, super fast! To the left is applied full strength, to the right blended out.


"Richer and Finer" is the name of the next pigment, and it's a lovely dusty rose with an intense silver shine.




Next up is "The Closet". This is a rich dark burgundy with a silver sheen to it. Very nice.



And finally we have "A Gentleman", which is a lovely sapphire blue with very subtle silver sparkles.


So, for the look, I decided to take a little bit of inspiration from the information sheet and try a halo eye with a pop of color on the lower lid. After priming my eye with Urban Decay's Primer Potion, I used "The Closet" on the inner and outer thirds of my eyelid, also blending it up into the crease. I used a touch of Hello Waffle's Coming-Soon glitter glue, "Enchantment" on the center of my lid and adhered "Richer and Finer" to that, then blended the edges with more "The Closet". On the lower lashline I used a Nyx eye pencil in "Sapphire" and then laid "A Gentleman" over the top. For my brows I used "Mae", one of the new Ka-BROW powders from Darling Girl Cosmetics. (Oh my god I love it!) Finally, I used my favorite black mascara from Charlotte Tilbury on my lashes.


 For my face, although the information sheet suggested that with a heavy eye and heavy lip color blush probably wasn't needed, I am so pale that without blush I look dead, so I added just a touch of a Nyx blush in "Dusty Rose". I then used "Plates of Gold and Silver" to highlight my cheekbones, brow bone, and cupid's bow, and topped everything up with the "Fairy Key" lipstick.

























Final Thoughts: Ah, I am still so sad to be ending this subscription. The colors and quality were as amazing as ever. But, there's more new and exciting things just around the corner so I am looking forward to the future as well!

What did you think of this month's Visage? Do you enjoy/hate the new feature of creating a look with the products? SHOULD I SIGN BACK UP? Let me know in the comments!

As always, thanks for hanging out!


3 comments:

  1. What a STUNNING makeup look! you look lovely. Not familiar with this brand at all so I will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! I totally recommend Hello Waffle, her products are amazing and customer service is simply top notch!

      Delete
  2. What a STUNNING makeup look! you look lovely. Not familiar with this brand at all so I will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete