Connect!

Monday, August 8, 2016

Fortune Cookie Soap: Soap Box Fall 2016

Hey there geekonistas!

So here is something funny - Yesterday was my one-year bloggiversary! Yup, it was exactly one year since I published my first blog post. It's so hard for me to believe that I've really made it this far! In honor of this milestone, I thought it would be appropriate to review the same product I reviewed for my first post - the Fortune Cookie Soap Fall Soap Box!



In case you aren't familiar with the Fortune Cookie Soap Boxes, they are a way to sample upcoming Fortune Cookie Soap collections before they are launched on the website. The cost is $19.99 per box, including shipping to the U.S. The boxes come out quarterly and include sample sizes of bath and body products, plus a $10 code to use on the Fortune Cookie website. Fortune Cookie scent collections are all limited edition and often sell out quickly. This particular collection will be available on the Fortune Cookie Soap website starting on August 26th.



The fall theme is based on an all-time great (and personal favorite) movie, The Princess Bride! It's called "As You Wish" and it contains nine sample products, plus an information card describing each. Let's take a look!


First up, we have the OCD Hand Sanitizer that is included in every Soap Box. This, a Fortune Cookie shaped soap, and a Whipped Cream moisturizer are pretty much the only guaranteed items - everything else tends to switch around. This scent is called "Prepare to Die" and is described as "A warm blend of fresh baked cookie dough spied with clove and saffron". It's a very sweet scent, with a bit of spice from the cloves. I really enjoyed it, plus I always love the FCS sanitizer formula, which kills germs without turning my skin into a parched desert. This one, however, does seem to to contain a higher than usual percentage of gold glitter, which makes the bottle pretty and leaves glitter on your hands after you use it. Whether this is a nuisance or a bonus feature is really up to your personal preference.
I also found out the other day that FCS named their hand sanitizer "OCD" not to mock or make light of OCD, but to draw attention to it. A portion of their proceeds from every sale goes to fund research into this illness. I feel way better about it now!

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father."

Next up is a liquid shampoo, something I have not tried from FCS yet. This scent is called "Buttercup" and it's described as "candied rum wrapped with ripe fig, bergamot, vetiver, warm sandalwood and sweet vanilla musk". I'm not sure what a lot of those are supposed to smell like (what is vetiver, anyway?) but I can tell you that all together it does smell rather fresh and nice. Not a huge fan of this neon "nothing natural whatsoever" yellow color, but for a shampoo I guess it doesn't really matter. The formula had more slip than I am used to in a shampoo, but it seemed to clean effectively and didn't strip my hair, so that was a win!

"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Whenever I see this next item, something in me just wants to say "I'm not dead yet!" but that would be crossing the fandom streams and very, very bad. This is the Whipped Cream sample, called "Mostly Dead". Whipped Cream is Fortune Cookie Soap's body butter formula - it's very rich but also sinks quickly into the skin. The card describes this scent as "Golden honey drizzled over toasted almonds and pumpkin puree, warmed with amber". It started out as a delicious fall scent, but the longer I wore it, the more I noticed the amber note - I know a lot of people love amber, but it gives me a pretty bad headache, unfortunately.

"You've been mostly dead all day."

This next sample is not only functional, but beautiful. It's a facial cleansing oil called "True Love", "a sparkling blend of fresh citrus, creamy jasmine petals, and a dash of sea salt". The scent is wonderfully reviving, while the bottle itself has small flower petals in it, making this a lovely addition to a bathroom sink area. 

"This is True Love. You think this happens every day?"

The "Steam Me Up Scotty" shower steamers are a FCS item that I am not generally a fan of, and this one is no exception. This one, "Pit of Despair" is described as "patchouli, fresh-cut lemongrass, and tropical plumeria" but once you get it in the shower you'd be hard pressed to smell anything at all. I am also not a fan of patchouli, so I guess that actually works out better for me?

"If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything."

The next product, however, is scent-less on purpose. This is called "Knight Cream" and its supposed to be a moisturizer you can wear to bed. The unscented nature makes this a great item for people with sensitive skin, and it definitely feels very moisturizing!

"We'll never survive." "Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."

I have to confess, I am a bit mystified by the next item. It's a "Scented Cotton Ball" in the scent "Mawiage". What, exactly, does one use a scented cotton ball for? I'm not going to use it to apply or take off any makeup or face products as I don't want any additional scents in those, so... I'll just sniff it I guess? The scent is described as pound cake, cardamom, pistachio, rosewater, and buttercream. It's not a bad scent but the rosewater seems kind of out of place and discordant. 

"That dweam wifin a dweam..."


MMMM this perfume oil though. This one is called "Inconceivable!" and it's inconceivably delicious. The card describes it as "fall woods, black amber, and poached pears topped with whipped vanilla cream". The pears are really the star of the show but the other scents keep it from being overwhelming. It might be a little on the syrupy sweet side for some, but that's just how I like it. 

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

And of course, no Soap Box would be complete without our final item, the Fortune Cookie soap. This one is in the scent "Drop. Your. Sword.", which is described as "a blend of medieval honey apple mead". Smells. So. Good. I love the fresh apple notes in this one and the honey gives it a lovely warm depth. The only thing I don't like about it? All that dang glitter. It's really chunky and comes off easily.. I can imagine stepping out of the shower just coated in the stuff. I guess, as with the hand sanitizer, whether that's a nuisance or a bonus feature is up to personal preference.


*They

And that's it! It's still hard for me to believe it's been a whole year since I started this crazy project. Thank you so much to all of you out there, whether you've been here from the start or are just joining, I really appreciate each and every one of you, and I hope you look forward to the next year and the year after that as much as I do!

What do you think of the Fall Soap Box? Planning on picking up any of the products? Let me know in the comments!

As always, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment