Connect!

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Hello Waffle Cosmetics: Visage - July 2016

Hey there geekonistas!

Well wow, this is a late post! You can blame the Canadian Postal Workers for that, though. They inconveniently decided to have a strike last month, severely delaying my Visage shipment. I know, it's all about me, right? Haha, anyway, things seem to be back to normal now, so let's take a look at the July Visage box!



In case you are unfamiliar, Visage is a monthly subscription box service from Hello Waffle Cosmetics. It costs $25 a month, plus shipping, and includes a mix of full and sample size items for eyes, lips and face, including one product from a guest indie company. Each Visage is supposed to contain products to create one full face look. I believe the wait list right now is very small to non-existant, so it's a good time to sign up! Since the shop is currently on hiatus there won't be any overstock available until it reopens.


The Visage theme this month is the Japanese story "Tamamo no Mae", a legend telling of a beautiful fox-girl who tricked an emperor. The colors are all very warm and orangey, perfect for the golden days at the end of summer! It contains three full size loose eyeshadow pigments, a "Fairy Dust Overshadow", a halfling size blush, and a lip color from this month's guest indie, Notoriously Morbid. There is also the usual information sheet with an explanation of the theme and each item, plus instructions on how to make this month's look.  Let's check it out! As usual, all loose pigments are swatched over Geek Chic Cosmetics Power Up Primer.


The first eyeshadow is called "Fox in Disguise" and the sheet describes it as having coppery pink sparks and a subtle green glow. I couldn't really catch the glow but those pink sparks are definitely front and center!


Next up is the Fairy Dust Overshadow. This formula isn't a traditionally pigmented kind of eyeshadow - it's meant to be more of a highlight or accent to go over other shadows. This one is called "New Treasures" and it's a gorgeous bronzy base with pink and gold sparkles.


The next eyeshadow is a rich matte brown called "Miura". Hello Waffle seriously has some of the most pigmented, smooth matte formulas around.


And the last eyeshadow shade is called "An Evil Sickness". It has a warm dark brown base with a green to pink sheen.


The blush this month is called "Tamamo", and it's a pale peach with a gold sheen. It looks darker in the jar but actually blends out to be very sheer and beautiful.


And finally, we have this month's guest indie, one of my favorites, Notoriously Morbid! This Diablo Lip Rouge (their lipstick formula) is called "Gold Unalloyed" and true to it's name its got an intense gold sheen over a burnt orange base. The formula on this is just unbelievably rich and creamy, too. It had near perfect opacity in one swipe.


So for the look, I mostly started out following "The Look" directions on the sheet. The look this month is a cut crease but since I was going to work I decided to make it a very soft cut crease so it wasn't quite as dramatic. For my creased I used the Kat Von D Shade + Light Palette (the warm quad), and then deepened it up with "Miura". On my lid I used "Fox in Disguise" over a sticky base, and highlighted the inner corner with "New Treasures". I used "An Evil Sickness dry along my upper lash line to darken, then wet along my lower lashline to show off that shimmer.


I blended "Tamamo" out on my cheeks for the blush and of course finished up with "Unalloyed Gold" on my lips. 


Final Thoughts: If you're someone who doesn't enjoy warm tones, this month would have been a total miss. Fortunately, I adore warm tones so the Visage this month was very exciting for me! The hint for next month... er.. this month now, I guess... is "bright colours with a fairy realm set in midsummer". Hmmmmmm.... I do love some Shakespeare in the summer!

What did you think of this month's Visage? Are you going to pick up any of the colors when the shop reopens? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment