Connect!

Friday, August 7, 2015

Fortune Cookie Soap Fall 2015 Soap Box: "Old Hollywood"

Hey there geekonistas!

So, I had just finished writing up my very first blog post when I got a very special package in the mail- my Fortune Cookie Fall Soap Box! I just couldn't resist tearing into it right away, and since it's such a seasonal box with limited edition scents, I thought I should post this review first instead.

In case you aren't familiar with the Fortune Cookie Soap Boxes, they are a way to sample upcoming Fortune Cookie Soap collections before they are launched on the website. The cost is $19.99 per box, including shipping to the U.S. The boxes come out quarterly and include sample sizes of bath and body products, plus a $10 code to use on the Fortune Cookie website.  Each collection has a theme, such as "Candyland", "Alice in Wonderland", "Wicked", and other fun things. Fortune Cookie scent collections are all limited edition and often sell out quickly.

Okay, on to the fun part! The theme for fall is "Old Hollywood". Who doesn't want some of that old Hollywood glamour and glitz in their lives?



The first thing that is included on top is the information card - this gives a description of all the scents and products included in the box. I usually look at it last so I don't spoil the surprise.



The first thing that caught my attention in the box was this adorable perfume spritzer! This is something new for FCS and I really like it. It can be hard to apply perfume oils directly out of the bottle so this makes it easier - although the mechanism puts out kind of a thicker stream, rather than a thin mist. The scent is "Pearls & Girls" which the card describes as vanilla, jasmine, and pear. The vanilla is the most powerful scent for sure, but it's a floral vanilla rather than a food vanilla. I don't know if the spritzer itself will be refillable, but I hope so.



Next is a bath powder with the scent "Scandal". The card calls this scent "creaking woods, wind blown leaves, and twisted rose thorns". I got a faint woodsy, rosy scent. Maybe it will smell stronger when I put it in the bath, but so far it doesn't have much power to it.



This is the OCD hand sanitizer in the scent "Glitz & Glamour", which is described as "wet moss, polished woods and creamy vanilla". It definitely has a very musky scent to it which I thought I wasn't going to like, but I actually do! I also like the OCD formula (although not so much the name) because it makes my hands feel clean but not dried out. Just a word of warning, don't attempt to smell this product until after you've actually rubbed it on your hands and it has evaporated or the only scent you will get is a snoot full of alcohol! Also, this does contain glitter and the glitter does stay on your hands, which isn't a problem for me but it might be an issue if you are trying to get someone to take you seriously.


More glitter! They know my weakness. This is the wax tart included in the box in the scent "Famous". The card says the the scent is amber, orchid, white cotton and sundried herbs, but to me it smells kind of like fruit punch bubblegum? I don't know, maybe I have a weird sense of smell. It's not at all an unpleasant smell but I don't have a wax warmer so I will have to try to find another way to use this.


This is the "whipped cream" which is the FCS version of a body lotion or moisturizer. It's definitely very thick and moisturizing, and this particular scent "Tommy Guns & Baseball Bats" smells good enough to eat. It's described as apple pie with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and marshmallow fluff, and that is exactly what it smells like. This is gonna make me hungry when I use it.



Next up is a shampoo bar. Its in the scent "Hollywood Dreams" which they describe as "brown sugar dusted graham crackers, fresh churned apple butter, sprinkled with nuts and a hint of maple". I don't know if I can pick out all of those individual scents, but this definitely smells like fall! The bar itself has some sort of.. pieces in it, not sure what they are. Maybe coconut? Sprinkles? Does my hair need sprinkles? Does anything NOT need sprinkles??



This is a pomade (also new to FCS) included in the box in the scent "American Royalty". The scent is said to contain "rose milk, thick honey, and warming tobacco blossom wrapped with caramel and notes of mandarin." I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I can definitely detect the tobacco and that makes it a little manly/musky for me, but it does have some nice floral notes as well. I've never in my life used a pomade, so the scent may be a moot point anyway.



And at last, the fortune cookie itself. This one is glittery (yay!) and the scent is called "Dressed to Kill". The card calls this scent "mulled red wine swirled with dark, rich, vanilla and cut apples, and a dusting of spice". Mostly I seem to pick up the spice, but its got a nice, clean soapy scent to it as well.



Final Thoughts: All in all this was a pretty good soap box! The card points you at the website for directions on anything you may not be sure on how to use, such as the pomade and solid shampoo, which is good. I appreciate that FCS did not go the "Pumpkin Spice" route for fall, but it does seem to feature a lot of vanilla. Well and good for me as I love vanilla, but if you don't enjoy it, you may not like a lot of these scents.

What do you think? Have you tried or will you try any of these? Let me know!


They even included some fake pearls in the package. How cute!












2 comments: