Connect!

Monday, August 17, 2015

Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet: August 2015 "Moonlight & Magic"

Hey there geekonistas!

It is that time of the month. You know what I'm talking about. That time when all my lovely indie subscriptions start showing up on my doorstep! (What did you think I meant?)

Anyway, today I have the Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet for August to share with you. In case you aren't familiar with them, Notoriously Morbid is an indie makeup company that produces loose pigments, blushes, and lip products, and the Vanishing Cabinet is their monthly subscription service that sends out a variety of mini size eye shadow pigments and bonus items based around a particular theme.

The good news? The VC is only $12.90 a month, including shipping to the US! (International shipping is just a couple dollars more). The bad news? There is a fairly long wait list, so if you sign up, it can take a while before you actually start receiving the VC. Luckily, there are often VC overstocks posted on the site, so if you find yourself seriously coveting any of the colors from a particular month, you may have a chance to purchase it down the line.

On to the pretties!

This month's theme is "Moonlight & Magic" and is based around the film Teen Witch. Embarrassingly enough, I've never actually seen this film, but I don't think my ignorance detracts too much from my appreciation of these colors. All the pigments here are swatched over Notoriously Morbid's sticky base: "Shadow Bind".



The first color is called "Take a Chance". Its a cyan base with a ton of sparklies and a golden sheen. I mean seriously, if someone asked me what pure magic would look like in the real world, I would point at this.
The camera cannot even begin to capture the awesome here. 


Next up is "Brad Power", a delicious mint green with gold sparkle. I have a pretty vast indie makeup collection but I can honestly say I don't really have any color like this. Score!

Oh, hey Brad. How YOU doin'?

"Top This" is the next color and it starts of in the jar looking like a plain dusty mauve. Once you apply it however, you can see the really strong green-gold shift. It's really pretty but I do feel like I see this particular color combination a lot.



It's hard to pick a favorite out of this collection, but if I had to, I would say "Omni Suminaro" would definitely be a close contender. This is a rich orangey red with gold sparkles - it reminds me so much of watching the leaves change color in the fall. Gorgeous.

Somebody get me a Pumpkin Spice flavored something.

 Finally, we have the Diablo Lip Rouge (NM's lipstick line) in "Popular Girl". Sigh. This color. It's so pretty and I would totally wear it daily, except... while it was waiting for me in my burning hot mailbox, the whole thing melted. *Crying* I might try to get a tiny spatula or something and push it back in but I'm afraid the texture might be ruined for good. If NM ever offers this on a permanent basis I'm definitely going to order it... in the winter.

So. Pretty. T_T

And last but very far from least, we have the guest indie! NM includes a sample from a different indie company each month in order to support each other and share the indie love. This month's guest is Hello Waffle Cosmetics, who has some really awesome products! (I have a review coming up of their Gods and Goddesses collection, so look out for that!)

This pigment is called 16th, and it is a light purple confection of a color with a gold sheen and purple sparkles. 
Sparkles, Y U so camera shy?!



Final thoughts: I felt like Notoriously Morbid hit it out of the park with this month's vanishing cabinet. The colors were all really well pigmented and smooth, with unique characteristics that, for the most part, I don't feel like I've already seen a thousand times. The only disappointment was the Diablo Lip Rouge melting, but that's probably my own fault for living in the middle of the stinking desert.

What do you think of the collection? Have you seen Teen Witch? Would you recommend it?



No comments:

Post a Comment