Connect!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Geeky Gems - Obake Style

Hey there geekonistas!

So today I wanted share with you an artist who makes awesome geeky accessories!


Obake Style (actually a collaboration between a husband and wife team) creates some amazing, one-of-a-kind designs, based on a fusion between art styles - specifically animation and "obake" which is the shortened form of "bakemono" or shapeshifting monsters from Japanese folklore. This fusion takes some familiar characters and gives them a cool twist. They have designs based on Sailor Moon, My Neighbor Totoro, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kill la Kill, Adventure Time, and a ton more! Plus, they have some more traditional designs like skulls, kitsune and daruma. I especially like the clean lines and bright colors of their work.

Totoros! Whee!

But its not only their aesthetic that I really like. Each piece is hand crafted and very high quality, made of paint over wood cutouts. This not only makes the pieces sturdy, but also contributes to their cool look. You can see some of the bobby pins I purchased below. The Luna and Artemis ones especially are my favorite... so cute it hurts!

The paint on the moons is a sparkly gold!

I highly recommend checking out their Etsy shop, where they sell hair pins, earrings, necklaces, stickers and prints, but you can also find them when they travel to local cons and events (They are based out of Salt Lake City, UT). I was lucky enough to encounter them at the Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con and I can assure you they are super nice!


They also included some temporary tattoos with my purchase and I'm not ashamed to say I wore them for the rest of the con.






No comments:

Post a Comment