Connect!

Friday, November 6, 2015

Fanmail Box : October 2015 - Yay for YA!

Hey there geekonistas!

Apologies for the late post this week, I picked up some extra hours and a nasty virus at work. Fun! Anyway, today I wanted to share with you the Fanmail box for October! The theme is "Yay for YA!" and it celebrates all the awesome YA literature that is out there. (As someone who works in the young people's portion of the library, I approve heartily!)

I got a purple sticker!!! Something extra special is inside! Read 'til the end to find out what it is!



FanMail is a monthly subscription box "by lady geeks, for lady geeks". It contains geeky/nerdy items and accessories and is usually mailed out at the end of each month. Subscriptions can be purchased either month to month ($21.99 per box) as a 3 month prepay ($63.00 up front, which works out to $21.00 per box), 6 month prepay ($120.00 up front, $20.00 per box) or a 12 month prepay ($228.00 up front, $19.00 per box). A larger tshirt size (2xl-4xl) costs an additional $2.00 per month. These are "true" plus sizes though, not the juniors plus sizes a lot of boxes will try to pass off as plus size.

There is a TON of stuff included in this month's box! I really don't know how they included this many things in the box at this price point. It's pretty amazing! First up, we have the usual information card. I like to keep these around all month long because not only are the designs on the front super awesome, the back is filled with release dates for movies, television, books, comics, and games!



So the first item in the box was a "bonus item". This could be themed around either The Hunger Games, or Twilight. I got this really awesome votive candle holder! It's going to look really neat when it's lit up. I hope it projects the Mockingjay symbol on the wall!




I've grouped the next two items together - they are a bookmark and a poster based on Claudia Gray's "A Thousand Pieces of You". I haven't read this yet but this print sure makes it look intriguing! Maybe someday our library will have a copy back in stock.


You may remember the absolutely adorable bookmarks from BeeDoo that were in the "Super Sheroes" box? Well they are at it again with two more Fanmail box exclusive bookmarks featuring Luna Lovegood and Lyra & Iorek. This is also quite timely, as it was just announced that BBC One is producing a new TV series based on Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials".

Whaaaat so freakin cute!
 This month we also have TWO pieces of jewelry in the box. The first is this necklace inspired by the Shield of Athena in the Percy Jackson series. I really like the style of this and I will be wearing it often.



For the second piece of jewelry, there is a hand chain inspired by "A Series of Unfortunate Events". This gold chain comes with a blue eye charm on it, the kind that is supposed to ward off evil. I was afraid this wouldn't fit my giant man sized-hands but it actually has plenty of room!


This next group features some stationery and promotional items. There are two "Hunger Games" themed greeting cards, two mini-size comics, some temporary tattoos featuring designs from "Divergent" and "Maze Runner" and a pin.


 And we're not done yet! We have another great t-shirt this month, featuring a Harry Potter theme. The promo image on the information card shows this t shirt as white, so I don't know if some people got white ones or if they were all brown, but I can say I'm very happy with the brown! They use a nice, thick material on these t-shirts, they feel very high quality and like they will last a while.


And we're STILL not done! Check out my very special bonus item! It's a bookplate signed by the co-authors of "Scan" and "Burn", Sarah Fine and Walter Jury! Cool, right?


Final Thoughts: My hardest decision this month is going to be whether I keep all these awesome goodies for myself, or if I pass some of them on to the kids I work with, who I know would be over the moon with some of these items! Decisions, decisions.

So what did you think of this month's Fanmail box? What's your favorite YA novel? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment