Connect!

Monday, November 2, 2015

October Favorites!

Hey there geekonistas!

October has come to a close, (goodbye Halloween!) and so I have roused myself out of my traditional sugar coma in order to bring you my monthly favorites. This is a random selection of things that made me happy this month in beauty, television, comics, and so much more. Let's get started!




Favorite Scent:

Kyoto Autumn Leaves by Shoyeido


So what I'm about to tell you may kill my cred as a blogger, but... I don't particularly care for candles. *Gasp*! I know, I know. It's just that.. I'm owned by three cats and leaving open flames burning anywhere near them makes me really, really nervous. I will burn candles occasionally (especially if they smell like foood), but most of the time I tend to prefer other scent dispersal methods - such as incense, and particularly Shoyeido's incense. This is a brand that has been making incense in Japan for over 300 years, and it's not your typical, overpowering patchouli smell that comes with a lot of incenses. These are high quality sticks of incense with more subtle, yet long lasting scents that are created to evoke places or moods. They are also far less smoky than other forms of incense, as they are hand rolled sticks that do not contain a bamboo core. This particular scent, Kyoto Autumn Leaves, is my favorite this month for being a perfect fall scent. It has a blend of sandalwood and cinnamon that perfectly captures the feeling of a crisp day among falling leaves.


Favorite Comic:

Jem and the Holograms


Remember last blog post, when I was talking about how I wasn't particularly interested in the new Jem and the Holograms movie? I think that's actually the fault of this comic. It showed me what a reboot of Jem and the Holograms COULD be, staying true to the original characters while updating it in some very important ways and still staying colorful and fun. Now, accepting anything less just won't do it for me. Out of the many, many reasons I love this comic, one important one is that the artist, Sophie Campbell, is extremely deft at drawing women who have all different body types. To me, seeing a comic about amazing, confident, fabulous women who aren't afraid to be themselves is awesome to begin with, but then seeing myself actually reflected in those pages as well? It's a powerful thing.


Favorite Body Product:

Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter


Woo! All right, coming down off that emotional high for a moment there, let me talk about something I discovered at Trader Joe's this month. It was my first time purchasing their Pumpkin Body Butter, but I think I'm hooked. It's a thick, creamy body lotion that really hydrates my scaly fall legs but doesn't feel greasy at all. Plus, despite the name, it actually smells more like apple pie than pumpkins to me. It has that nice spicy pie smell, but with a fresher undertone. In any case, I've been using it almost non stop this month, even choosing it over my (much more expensive) indie brands.


Favorite TV Show:

The Flash


This was a tough choice this month! So many of my favorite shows came back. But, in the end I had to pick The Flash, just on the basis of that most recent episode! I will not spoil it for you if you haven't seen it but.. oh, man. I can't wait to see the next one! Squeeeeee! I feel like this show really hit the ground running (forgive the pun) this season, and its just going to keep getting wilder!

I also really loved the premiere of Supergirl, but I'm going to reserve judgement on whether its a "favorite" show or not until I see a couple more episodes. I have high hopes though!

Favorite Palette:

Kat Von D Shade + Light Eye Contour Palette

Ok, so I know it's not my usual colorful choice, and it's probably old news to most of you by now, but I really dig this palette! I find it has the perfect range of warm, cool, and neutral shades to form a backdrop to bright eye looks. It does kick up quite a bit of excess powder, but it's also really easy to blend. Of course, now that I am such a fan of this one.. that Mi Vida Loca Remix palette is getting even harder to resist!


And that's all for my favorites this month! Do you have any favorites or recommendations for me? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment