Connect!

Monday, January 11, 2016

Farewell, Goblin King

Hey there geekonistas,

As I'm sure you've already heard, David Bowie passed away last night after a battle with cancer. While I personally have never been all that familiar with his music outside of some of his more popular radio hits and of course my fanatical love for the movie Labyrinth, it still feels very sad to me that the world has lost such a unique, charismatic and talented individual. The best memorial I have found so far is Neil Gaiman's self described "fan fiction" of David Bowie based illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano, which Mr. Gaiman has published on the web for free today in tribute. You can find both the story and illustrations here on Mr. Gaiman's blog.

I don't have a talent for writing or artistry that others do, but I wanted, in my own small way, to mark the passage of such an incredible person, so I thought I would share with you some of the makeup I own that has been created as a reflection of the fascinating life and career of Mr. Bowie.




"Mr. Oddity" was the second Tribute Trio that Notoriously Morbid produced. Tribute Trios are sets of three loose pigment shadows, based around a particular musician. This one was themed around David Bowie and each shadows named for one of his songs. This was a limited edition run that was only available for a short time (hence why I have not reviewed it before), but Notoriously Morbid has brought it back to be available for the rest of January in memory of his passing, plus a new shadow created in tribute named "The Stars Look Very Different Today".


The first color in the Tribute Trio is called "Run for the Shadows" and it is the brightest, sparkliest metallic gold.



The next color, in perfect counterpoint, is "Too Cool to Fool" and it's a stunning silver with pink sparkles. This looks almost like a molten silver when applied over a sticky base. The pink is hard to capture, but it's very noticeable in person.



And finally, "Major Tom", a cool gray-purple with a purple/copper shimmer. This is my favorite out of the collection, and one I've worn many times.


Shiro Cosmetics has also produced some David Bowie inspired shades. The first, "Ziggy" was their color of the month for January 2015, but due to it's popularity, it became a permanent shade. This color was also based on Pantone's 2015 color of the year, marsala, so it is a "Brightened, slightly metallic Marsala red with blue shimmer", as described on the website.


The other shade produced by Shiro was concocted for their five year anniversary, and it's called "Five Years, Stuck On My Eyes". This is a soft taupe with orange sparkles. This one, sadly, is no longer available.



That's all for today, thanks for hanging out! Take care out there, and look after each other, okay?

Goodbye, Ziggy Stardust. Your spaceship knows which way to go.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this post - I'm still so sad about Bowie :( I ordered the NM tribute trio and can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. At first I was doubtful about putting this post up, but I figured if anyone out there understood using makeup to express themselves, it was David Bowie.

    ReplyDelete