Connect!

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Aromaleigh Cosmetics : Birds of a Feather Collection

Hey there geekonistas!

Look, it's not that I don't like chickens. I mean, I appreciate that they produce eggs, one of the culinary wonders of the world. I appreciate that some people like to keep them as pets, even though, if we're being truly honest here (and we are), I am a little bit afraid of them. (They peck really hard!) One thing, however, that I certainly never realized before I got my "Birds of a Feather" set from Aromaleigh Cosmetics is that chickens could be.. beautiful.




In case you are unfamiliar, Aromaleigh Cosmetics is a cruelty-free indie company that offers many vegan options in loose eye shadow pigments, blushes, highlighters, and lip balms, along with mineral foundations and finishing powders. Aromaleigh has a sale category that changes weekly, offering 25% of on particular collections. This can be a great deal, especially if you are just looking to try some of their products!

Today, as I mentioned, I wanted to show you the new collection, "Birds of a Feather", which is based on the many iridescent colors which can be found in the feathers of different chicken breeds. There are twelve shades in total in this collection, which is thankfully permanent, not limited edition. I ordered the sample baggies, so unfortunately I don't have the lid art to share with you, but both the sample jars and the full size jars all have artwork of the particular chicken breed on them, and if you order the entire set of full size jars it comes packed in an adorable mini egg carton with more artwork on the front.

I'm trying to figure out better ways to do swatches, so please forgive if these are a bit wonky. I was trying to make them nice and neat using tape, but then I discovered that sticking tape to your skin is really painful. Maybe I'll try surgical tape or something. I'm also attempting to embed some videos today as well so let's see how badly that can go!

All of these are swatched over a sticky base (Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy) and photgraphed in both direct sunlight and indoor lighting. There are some very strong duochromes here and that seems to be the only way to do them justice!


Group 1: Ameraucana, Crevecoeur, Faverolles, Brahma


Group 1: Direct Sunlight

Group 1: Indoor Lighting

The first shade is called Ameraucana. The base of this one is a greyish blue, but you can barely see that through the powerful blue to teal shift!


Next we have Crevecoeur, which I have to look at the package in order to spell correctly every single time. This is a gray-green base with a superb purple shift.


Faverolles is a taupe base with a strong pink/ copper shift to it.


Next up is Brahma. The Aromaleigh website says the base is pinkish brown, but it looks a lot paler than that to me. The intense green duochrome is definitely present, however.



Group Two: Cochin, Wyandotte, Silkie, Sicilian


Group 2: Direct sunlight
Group 2: Indoor lighting




This next color is one of my favorites in the set. Cochin is an orange base with a pretty pink shift. The shift on this is just amazing!


Another gorgeous shift is present in Wyandotte. The reddish pink base plus the strong blue shift give the illusion of a glowing purple shade.


Silkie is a bit of a different shadow from the rest of the collection. This is a glitter blend rather than just a loose pigment, so it has tons of rose and copper sparkles in a translucent white base.


Sicilian has a yellow gold base with a copper shift, giving it almost a brassy look.



Group 3: Marans, Langshan, Orpington, Sumatra


Group 3: Direct Light

Group 3: Indoor Lighting


Can we talk about the shift in Marans for a minute? Actually, scratch that I'd need much longer than a minute to do justice to this copper base with a fabulous green shift. Thankfully, a picture is worth a thousand words, so...


The next color is called Langshan, and it's got a medium gray purple base with a lovely turquoise shift.


Orpington is a brown base with a powerful gold shift. I've run out of descriptive words for how ka-POW these shifts are, but that's not going to stop me from trying!


And finally, we have Sumatra. This is another glitter blend, like Silkie, but in a charcoal gray base with blue and green sparkles.



Final Thoughts: It's hard for me to believe that this is actually my first review of an Aromaleigh collection. It's definitely not the first one I've owned! I find the quality to be great, the pigments fun, and, well, you've seen dem shifts! Being the bird nerd that I am, I really liked the theme of this collection, and the variety of shades within it. I especially enjoyed the glitter blends - they weren't quite as messy as traditional loose glitter, but they still give a great sparkle to an eye look!

What do you think about the Birds of a Feather collection? Will you be picking any of these shades up? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for hanging out!







1 comment:

  1. I Love her Sparkly Shadows! Im so sad that in the newsletter it said she'll stop making them and stick to mattes and frosty shadows. I need to start stacking up. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete