Connect!

Sunday, October 2, 2016

September Favs and Flops

Hey there geekonistas!

Some people love fall for the cooler weather. Some love it for the Pumpkin Spice everything. Some love it for Halloween. Me? I love it for all of those things, but mainly for all the new indie makeup collections! See, unlike mainstream companies, indies don't directly transition from summer to christmas collections - in fact, Halloween is the time of year when most indies have their biggest releases! There's absolutely no way I can review them all *sighs dramatically* but I am definitely going to spend this next month trying as many as I can! But of course, before we start off on next month, let's take a moment to look back over last month and pick out a few of the things I've been loving!


Favs

Favorite Ragged Nail Salvation:
Baroness X Sugared Baubles



You may remember last year when I reviewed the Baroness X Doctor Who Mystery box for the holiday season... well it took me a little while, but since that time I've become completely enamored with several Baroness X products - most noticeably the Sugared Baubles. These gems are the perfect little hand treatments, with sugar to provide the scrub and oils to hydrate everything, with some really amazing smells like Watermelon Lemonade and Blueberry Muffin! Living in the desert, my nails get super dry and my cuticles are basically a horror show, so finding a product that works this well is just awesome. To use them, you just wet your hands with warm water and then break apart the bauble and scrub for a minute or two before rinsing your hands. Be careful if you use the Blueberry Muffin scent.... you WILL walk away hungry! There is also a larger size that you can supposedly use as a body scrub but I just cut those in half and use them as extra hand scrubs.

Favorite "Old is the New New" TV Show:
Gilmore Girls



People tended to look at me funny when I said I'd never seen Gilmore Girls. It's not that I wasn't interested in it... it was just that I didn't have cable while the show was on the air so it was kind of just... off my radar? Well, with the new revival coming up, my husband (who is a huge fan) decided he wanted to rewatch the series and since he highly recommended it to me, I decided to watch along with him. And now. Now I understand why everyone thought I was crazy when I said I hadn't seen it. It's basically a show made for and about me. I love the characters, I love that the setting is a small New England town almost exactly like the one where I grew up, and I love the mix of humor and emotion. I'm looking forward to the rest of the watch-through and doubly looking forward to the new episodes coming soon!

Favorite Holy Grail Highlighter:
Becca Shimmer Skin Perfector in "Rose Quartz"




"But Lura," I hear you say, "This highlighter only came out a short time ago and we all know you only picked it up for the name anyway. How can it be your holy grail highlighter already?" To which I say to you, sometimes something comes into your life and right away you just know it's the one. This is one of those times. This was actually my first ever Becca product and I am in love - it applies so smoothly and blends out really well, and it's such a soft and pretty pale pink highlighter!

Favorite Fall is Here Scent:
Black Violet Botanicals "Bavarian Apfel Cider"



For me, transitioning from summer scents to fall scents means leaving behind overly sweet and fruity tropical blends and moving right into overly sweet and fruity gourmand blends. Case in point, this "Bavarian Apfel Cider" perfume from Black Violet. To me the mix of apples and spices just epitomizes the start of apple picking season. Unfortunately, as Black Violet has shifted to using only all-natural fragrance sources, this scent is no longer available. I've ordered some of the Halloween Collection from Black Phoenix Alchemy labs to see if anything comes close - I will keep you updated.

That's actually it! Sorry it's not a lot this month, I was super involved in getting ready for and then being on vacation, so I wasn't trying much new, just mostly falling back on my tried and trues that I've already talked about in earlier Favs. I'm going to try to catch up on some of the subscriptions I missed reviewing and then of course, it's on to Halloween sets! Look out for reviews coming up of the new Glamour Doll Eyes, Fyrinnae, and Notoriously Morbid Halloween collections, plus the Lunatick Labs/Elvira Collab, and more!

What were your favs and flops this month? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for hanging out!


No comments:

Post a Comment