Connect!

Thursday, July 7, 2016

June Favs and Flops

Hey there geekonistas!

Hope July is going well for you so far! It's hot as heck here but thankfully I've got a good air conditioner and a steady ice maker. So let's sit back with a refreshing beverage and check out what I loved (and didn't) during the month of June!

Favs:

Favorite Sole Saviour:
Soap and Glory Heel Genius




I discovered this product on the recommendation of YouTuber "Blushing Biddies", who does great reviews on cruelty-free products, and I have to say, this stuff truly is genius! I finally finished up my old foot cream (I was using the "Shea it isn't so" by True Blue Spa from before I found out that B&BW isn't cruelty free) and Heel Genius honestly just blows it out of the water. My feet weren't awful or anything before but now they are amazingly soft and smooth - without even having to use one of those creepy foot peels! (Though I may have to try one someday.. just to see...) The scent is also really nice, with kind of a light freshness to it that isn't overpowering.

Favorite Soul Saver:
Preacher



Preacher. What to say about Preacher? I guess I would describe this comic book-based show as kind of like if you took Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens", set it in small town Texas, and made it a little more creepy and a hell of a lot more violent. I'm actually surprised that I am really enjoying the heck out of this one - I think that may in no small part be due to the colorful cast of characters brought to life by some out-of-this-world acting talent. I mean, how can you go wrong with a show that has a character named "Arseface"?

Favorite Brand in the Spotlight: 
BH Cosmetics


I really feel like BH cosmetics is on the cusp of having a big moment. I've been a fan of this inexpensive, cruelty-free (Leaping Bunny Certified) brand for years, but lately they are really stepping up their game in terms of releasing some great new products and collaborations with YouTube personalities like Shaanxo and Carlie Bybel, and actress Ashley Tisdale. For the most part their products are really good quality for an affordable price, even when they are not having a sale (which they usually are). If you are an Ebates user, Ebates offers a whopping 7.5% cash back for shopping on the BH Cosmetics website as well.
One of my favorite accessories? This dupe for the Vera Mona Color Switch that costs less than half the price of the original! And of course, my love for their Galaxy Chic palette will never die. I'm currently eyeing the Foil Eyes palette but I have all the Makeup Geek Foiled eye shadows and they crease on me like crazy, so.... still on the fence about that one.

Favorite Palette:
Grav3yardgirl's Swamp Queen By Tarte



So to give you some background here, I am a huge fan of Bunny (grav3yardgirl on YouTube) and when I heard she was doing a collab with Tarte, a great cruelty free brand, I was super excited! I was lucky enough to get a palette during the initial sale on the Tarte website (the hype machine was strong), though the two lip paints that were part of the release have proven a bit tougher to track down.
I hate to say it but the palette itself is just okay. The shadows have a bit of fall-out and are the same brown, pinky-brown, and brown-purple shades that come in pretty much every Tarte palette. Plus, "Gator Wings" is just too chunky/glittery for me personally to use as a highlighter, and "Sweet Tea" is too dark/orange for me to use as a bronzer.


So why is this in my favs this month when the quality is "just okay"? Well to start with, the packaging is top notch and really cool, the shadow names really reflect Bunny's unique personality, and the whole thing smells very lightly of chocolate.  So I guess you could say it's the fun factor that kept me reaching for this one this month! Also, because the colors are all pretty neutral, it's easy to pull "no-brainer" looks out of the palette on days when I don't want to have to deeply consider color theory while doing my makeup. I also love the quote from Bunny written on the mirror - "Believe in yourself. Love yourself. Embrace your individuality." - Something I think we all need to be reminded of now and then.


Flops: 

I don't have any product specific flops this time around, but I am feeling sorry for myself due to the lack of subscription boxes I'll be receiving next month! My Hello Waffle Visage is being delayed because of the Canada Post strike, and my FanMail box is taking a (well-deserved) hiatus to attend Comic-Con and have a short vacation. Plus it's the off month for the EC BOOM! box. T_T There is, however, a bright light at the end of the tunnel! My Christmas in July Advent box from AFK Cosmetics should be arriving soon, so we will have that to open up together! I'm super excited about the theme (the women of Ghibli) and I hope you all are looking forward to it as well.

And that's it for favs and flops this month. Do you have any favs or flops for June? Please feel free to share them in the comments below!

And, as always, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment