Connect!

Monday, March 28, 2016

FanMail: March 2016- "Mostly Dead"

Hey there geekonistas!

Ah, spring. That time of the year when a young geek's fancy turns to.. zombies? Well and why not! Zombies, and the rest of their undead brethren, can be celebrated any time of the year, right? And what better time to celebrate something pushing its way up from beneath the ground than in spring?




And that brings us to this month's FanMail box, with the theme "Mostly Dead". FanMail is a monthly subscription box "by lady geeks, for lady geeks". It contains geeky/nerdy items and accessories and is usually mailed out at the end of each month. Subscriptions can be purchased either month to month ($21.99 per box) as a 3 month prepay ($63.00 up front, which works out to $21.00 per box), 6 month prepay ($120.00 up front, $20.00 per box) or a 12 month prepay ($228.00 up front, $19.00 per box). A larger tshirt size (2xl-4xl) costs an additional $2.00 per month. These are "true" plus sizes though, not the juniors plus sizes a lot of boxes will try to pass off as plus size.


There was no t shirt included with this month's box and no refund for those who pay extra for plus sizes like last time, but when I contacted FanMail they let me know that subscribers will either get the cash back in their next box, or they can use it towards their next renewal.

First up, we have the usual info card that contains blurbs about each item in the box, plus upcoming tv, movies, comics, books and video games. Always very helpful, I tend to keep this card around all month. It also helps that they usually have a cool picture on the front - this month it's Liv from iZombie, a show (and comic) that I really enjoyed but I really need to catch up on. The information card says that the box contains a "print" of this image, but since I couldn't find another print in the box I have to assume that it means the info card itself is the print.



The hero item this month is this Funko Mopeez plush of Sally from "Nightmare Before Christmas". This is absolutely adorable! I do have to object to Sally being in the "Mostly Dead" box, though - she's not dead or undead! She's more like the Patchwork Girl of Oz - inanimate cloth brought to life... right? Well, in any case, the plush is cute.


Next up is a shot glass from the famous Winchester Tavern from "Shaun of the Dead", one of my favorite zombie movies! I seem to be getting inundated with shot glasses from subscription boxes lately... are they trying to tell me something?! I realize it's probably outside of the scope of possibilities for this box, but I would have loved for this to be a pint glass instead.



The next item, disappointingly, is a repeat from the "Legends of the CW" box. It's a Buffy the Vampire Slayer mini bust/ornament. I got a different character, which is good I guess, but this item wasn't exciting to me the first time around, so this time it's even less so.


Next up are some bonus-type items - a "Words with Zombies" magnet set and a "Meat Cute" sticker that's from iZombie I guess? I told you I have to catch up.

 And the final item for the month is this tote bag, based on the Walking Dead. I am as inundated with tote bags as I am with shot glasses, but this one is a really nice quality, with sturdy construction and a nice crisp print.


Final Thoughts: Welllll... I won't lie and say I'm not a little disappointed in this month's FanMail box. Getting a repeat item doesn't knock my socks off, and counting the info card itself as a "print" seems kind of cheaty to me. On the other hand, I do love the plush Sally and even though I'm not a fan of The Walking Dead I can definitely see someone who is getting a lot of use out of the really nice tote bag.

What did you think of this month's box? I seem to be having poor luck with subscription boxes this month (I had a perfume burst in another box, and my Firefly Crate from LootCrate came in with water damage all over it, as well) so I hope April will be better!

As always, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment