Connect!

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Glamour Doll Eyes OTM: March 2016

Hey there geekonistas!

It's been an exciting week here at Geek HQ! I went to the Wizard World Las Vegas convention last Saturday and picked up some nice treats, PLUS was super awkward and weird when talking to people in person! Yaaaaay. Social anxiety just my curse, unfortunately, but the fact that I went to the convention at all (a very crowded space) is a good achievement for me. And even though I couldn't say much, I did get my picture taken with Elizabeth Henstridge (Simmons from Agents of SHIELD) so, win!

So, for such a magical unicorn moment, I thought, what could be more appropriate than sharing with you this month's OTM from Glamour Doll Eyes, based around unicorns?




In case you are unfamiliar, Glamour Doll Eyes is a cruelty-free, indie company that produces loose and pressed eye shadow pigments, blushes, and lip products. The OTM service costs $11.00 per month to the U.S., $18.00 per month to Canada, and $22.00 internationally (all of these prices include shipping), and includes at least one eye shadow, plus another product. There is a different theme to the OTM each month, and any extras can be purchased on the GDE site once all of the subscriptions have been mailed out. (Be warned though, they go fast!) To get the subscription, you must email the owner to get onto the waitlist. The waitlist lasts one year and is reset in January. (Which is how I managed to snag one!)

This month the OTM contains the information card, one loose eye shadow pigment, one pressed eye shadow, some candy, and a lipstick from guest indie, Native War Paints, all packaged nicely in a velvet bag. I hope that unicorn shaped candy is happy living in my room because it's way too cute to ever actually eat. 

The loose eye shadow pigment this month is called "Some Kind of Magic Shadow" and it is described as a "sheer golden pink with subtle purple sparkles" This is one of those do-everything shadows that you can use for a wash of color on the lids, as a highlighter, or use it over a lipstick for a gorgeous shine.



Glamour Doll Eyes does some amazing pressed shadows, so I was really excited when I saw this one in the OTM! This is called "Unicorns in Space" and its a dark blue with pink and purple sparkle. There's so much sparkle in this one that it comes off very purple in some lights! Because this is a pressed shadow, it doesn't require a sticky base like loose pigments, but putting it over one can really intensify the sparkles. 


The lipstick is called "Unicorns Give Enchanted Kisses" and it's a "deep purple with red shimmer and a hint of purple sparkle". This was a lot sheerer than I thought it would be, but I guess that makes it more wearable. 


For the look I played around with a couple ideas, but finally settled on a halo eye. I had to bring in some matte shadows to complete the look, so I used Kat Von D's Shade + Light Eye palette, one of my favorites. The naming on the package confuses me (is it a map or a reflection?) so I just put arrows pointing at the ones I used. 


I started off by priming my eye with my usual Urban Decay Primer Potion in Enigma. I then set the whole eye with the lightest shade from the palette. I used the second lightest shade in my crease, and then the darkest shade to add depth just at the base of the crease, blending it all together with a fluffy brush. 


I took a little bit of "Unicorns in Space" on a fluffy brush and blended it up lightly into the crease to avoid harsh lines. I then used a flat paddle brush to pack it onto the inner and outer thirds of my lids. In the center of the lids I applied a little bit of Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy (a sticky base) and patted "Some Kind of Magic" over the top, blending out the edges into "Unicorns in Space". I then wet a small angle brush and used it to pick up some of "Unicorns in Space", smudging it under my lower lash line. I used Kat Von D's liquid tattoo liner in Trooper to line my upper lash line, then lined my tightline and waterline as usual with my Hourglass Gel liner, and topped everything up with my Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes mascara.


For the face I started with my usual Tarte BB Tinted Treatment, and then completely forgot to set it with a powder. Oops. For blush I used Too Faced's Love Flush Blush in the shade "Justify My Love", a cool toned pink. I then used "Some Kind of Magic" on a fluffy brush to highlight my cheekbones, cupid's bow, and the inner corners of my eyes. I used "Unicorns Give Enchanted Kisses" on my lips and the look was done!



 Final Thoughts: Despite being a touch disappointed in the opacity of the lipstick, I was overall quite happy with this month's OTM - Unicorns in Space in particular being my favorite shade this time around.

What did you think of this month's OTM? What's your favorite mythological creature? (Mine is the dragon!) Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment