Connect!

Monday, March 7, 2016

Fortune Cookie Soap 2016 Spring Box: Let it Grow!

Hey there geekonistas!

I can finally smell again! Yay! To celebrate this fact, and the fact that it's really warming up outside, I wanted to share with you the Spring Fortune Cookie Soap Box!




In case you aren't familiar with the Fortune Cookie Soap Boxes, they are a way to sample upcoming Fortune Cookie Soap collections before they are launched on the website. The cost is $19.99 per box, including shipping to the U.S. The boxes come out quarterly and include sample sizes of bath and body products, plus a $10 code to use on the Fortune Cookie website. Fortune Cookie scent collections are all limited edition and often sell out quickly.

I am late as heck with this review, but fortunately this collection, which was released February 19th, seems to be still available on the Fortune Cookie Soap website! The theme for this quarter is "Let it Grow" and is based on the movie version of Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax". Another reason it sucks to be late with this review - last month was Dr. Seuss' birthday!


The box includes the usual information card, with scent notes and usage instructions for each of the products included. This is something I really appreciate as I sometimes have a hard time picking out individual scent notes. Oh, and I will put my usual disclaimer here: Scent is an incredibly personal thing, and just because I enjoy or dislike a particular scent does not mean that you or anyone will necessarily feel the same way about it. So if I diss a scent that you love, please don't be angry with me!


Let's start off with the first product that grabbed my attention and a perennial favorite, the Whipped Cream! Whipped Cream is Fortune Cookie Soap's moisturizer formula and it's very rich and thick - lighter than a body butter but thicker than a bottled lotion. It's very hydrating and I find it to be non-greasy and quick absorbing. The scent in this box is called "Disco Tree" and the card describes it as a "blend of fresh picked berries, lily of the valley, and sandalwood". I think the floral scent is the strongest, but the fruity background also makes this a nice refreshing scent for spring.


Next up, we have a Shower Steamer sample. This is a small tablet that you put in your shower and it's supposed to create a pleasant aroma. I don't know if I don't take hot enough showers or what, but these never seem to throw off much scent for me. This one's scent is "In-Organic" and it's supposed to be "fresh squeezed lemons intertwined with hand picked parsley". I can smell the lemon a little bit and a hint of herb.


This next item is my absolute favorite scent/product in the box. This is a "Petal Perfume Oil" (note the actual petals in the bottle) in the scent "Paradise Found". The information card describes this scent as "delicate freesia, bruised rose petals, fresh mangoes and strawberries darkened by tonka bean and amber". The scent of roses is the strongest one I can pick up, and I love the scent of roses so this perfume is perfect for me!


Also included in the box is a Shampoo Bar sample in the scent "Oh Hair". I don't generally use shampoo bars (I have curly hair so I don't actually generally use shampoo at all) but this one smells really delightful. The scent is described as "peach nectar and shaved grapefruit, garnished with a sprig of thyme". Leaving aside the question of who on earth would shave a grapefruit, this scent is fresh and fruity sweet.


As usual, there is a sample size of OCD Hand Sanitizer. I've written at length before about this formula so this time I will just say: formula good, name bad. The scent this time around is "This Thing?" which is described as having orange, vanilla, citrusy-lemon and delicate floral notes. Love. Love. Love. Smells like a delicious lollypop.


The next product is one that's new to me from the FCS company - it is a cuticle oil in the scent "One C". Though the card says "Say it out loud.. you'll get it!" I'm afraid I still don't. The scent is "warm woods swirled with patchouli and topped with a dollop of creamy vanilla." All in all way too musky for my liking, though people who enjoy more masculine scents will probably really enjoy this.


Another new product to the box is a Pedi-Bomb. This is a miniature sized bath bomb type product that you are supposed to use in a foot bath. I just got turned on to mani/pedi bombs recently by ones I received from Baroness X, so I'm eager to see how this will compare! The scent is "Unless..." and it's described as having spring water, algae, hyacinth, water lily, dirt and oakmoss notes. To me that sounds like it would smell like a dirty old pond but it's actually quite refreshing and delicately lovely.


And finally, of course, we have the Fortune Cookie Soap's namesake product, The Fortune Cookie Soap. This one is in the scent "Guardian of the Forest", which is a myer lemon and spring flowers scent. Again, as seems to be the theme with this box, this was a very refreshing scent that I quite enjoyed.


Ooooh, and as a bonus with this box, the packing confetti comes with little paper flowers embedded with seeds that you can plant! Unfortunately, I can't plant much in a back yard made of rocks (Sometimes living in the desert sucks) but I appreciate the thoughtful touch!



Final Thoughts: There was only one scent I didn't care for this month, which is pretty good! Even though I've never seen the movie, I definitely thought the theme and the scents matched up together very well and made me feel ready as heck for spring!

What did you think of the spring FCS box? What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book? (Mine is Green Eggs and Ham) Let me know in the comments below (see what I did there?) and thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment