Connect!

Monday, March 21, 2016

Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet: "28:06:42:12" March 2016

Hey there geekonistas!

How are you all doing today? I'm enjoying the spring weather and making tons of plans for travel! Am I the only one that gets a severe case of wanderlust in the springtime? I don't know what it is, but something about the change from stay at home winter weather to get outdoors spring weather makes me want to ramble and roam. Of course, its not like winter weather in the desert would really stop me from doing much, but hey, it's the principle, right?

Today, however, I am excited that I have this month's Vanishing Cabinet to share with you! The Notoriously Morbid Vanishing Cabinet is a monthly subscription service that includes a number of mini sized loose eye shadow pigments (anywhere from 4-6)  and/or lip and other bonus products, sometimes including a guest product from another indie company, all created around a specific theme such as a movie, book, or fandom. It costs $12.90 per month including shipping. There is currently a wait list to get the subscription which you can join by emailing Notoriously Morbid, and sometimes you can catch one time "trial" subscriptions (good for that month only) on the website.




This month the theme is based on "Donnie Darko", which was a movie I watched and did not understand in 2001, so I probably won't be able to shed much light on it for you now, either. It includes four loose eye shadow pigments, a solid perfume, some candy, and a code for $5 off my next order of $20. Apparently Notoriously Morbid is still having a problem with packaging - the sifters were falling out so they opted not to include them this month. Ironically, my jars were all very neat and clean this month, with no leaking or spillage. As usual, all loose pigments are swatched over Geek Chic Cosmetics Power Up Primer.


The first color this month is called "Wake Up" - this is Donnie's color and its a gray toned purple with a ton of gold sparkle to it.


Next we have "Philosophy of Time Travel" which is Roberta Sparrow's color. This is a cool purple with a purple sheen and purple and blue sparkles.


"Cellar Door" is the next color, based on Pomeroy, and it's a orange toned red with gold shimmers.


And the final shade is called "Frank" based, of course, on Frank, and its a soft gray with a purple sheen and maybe some silver glitter?


The solid perfume is called "Mad World" and the notes are described as "coffee, candied berries, raspberries, and lilacs". I mean, basically they just mooshed all my favorite scents into one container and it's not even a big enough container to bathe myself in. Because I would. That's how much I love this scent. Also, despite not being big enough to bathe in, the new solid perfume sample packaging is really adorable!


For the look this month I had a little bit of trouble deciding what to do. Three of the four colors are all very similar, but I wanted to try to showcase each of them, so here is what I came up with.



To begin with I primed my eyes with Urban Decay's Primer Potion in Enigma. I then used "Supermom" from the Tartelette palette (you can use any eyeshadow that matches your skin tone) to set it. I used "Philosophy of Time Travel" over Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy on the lid to really bring out the sparkles. I then blended "Frank" up into the crease to soften everything out.

For the wing I drew on a small wing using Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner in "Trooper", then drew a larger wing over it using "Wake Up" foiled with Darling Girl Cosmetic's Super Star Serum. I made sure to go over where the black was as well, in order to pick up that nice gold sheen.

On my lower lashline I used "Cellar Door" on a wet brush to lend it a good intensity. I then lined my waterline and tightline with Hourglass' Gel liner and smudged that outwards to blend into "Cellar Door". Then I used Urban Decay's Perversion mascara, and BH Cosmetics' Brow Pencil in "Taupe" (and that is surely the warmest taupe I've ever seen..) to fill in my brows.



For my face I used my usual Tarte BB treatment, set with Catrice's Prime and Fine powder. I figured the eyes brought enough drama so I used a simple soft rose blush from Milani, then mixed a little bit of "Cellar Door" with a clear lipgloss to create the lip color, which was surprisingly pretty! I should mention that "Cellar Door" is technically not lip safe, but I am a rebel and I do what I want.

Final Thoughts: Okay, I'm going to lay it out there. A lot of these colors felt very repetitious - both to each other and to other Vanishing Cabinet Shadows. Now, I have been a Vanishing Cabinet member for a while now, so I would expect a little bit of repetition from older VC's to present ones, but "Frank" in particular is just so close to the color we got last month, "See Me Now".  Yes, there are differences, but I enjoy subscription boxes for that element of surprise and play that takes me outside of my comfort zone, and getting a lot of colors from the same gray/purple based family is not helping me do that. I realize that their goal is to match colors to the theme, I guess I just wish the themes didn't call for so many of the same kinds of colors? I'm not stepping away from the Vanishing Cabinet just yet, but the future is uncertain if it continues on like this. That being said, I did adore the perfume this month and that alone almost made the subscription worth it.

The hint for next month is: "Mother of... Duochromes?!" which sounds VERY promising, seeing as I adore both Game of Thrones and Duochrome shadows!

What did you think of this month's Vanishing Cabinet? Have you seen Donnie Darko? Did you understand it? Would you explain it to me?

As always, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment