Connect!

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Darling Girl Cosmetics: Queens of Horror Collection, Part One

Hey there geekonistas!

Halloween is creeping ever closer... are you ready for it? I know I am! Or at least, I will be once I head down to the Halloween store this weekend to pick up some spooooooky yard decor! I finally have a chance to do my yard up right this year and I am gonna go wild. Let me tell you, I do not do the "cartoony" sort of Halloween decorations. There will be corpses. There will be blood. There will be bugs. It will be horrifying. Children will run screaming. It will be glorious.

Speaking of horrifying, my review today is on Darling Girl Cosmetics "Queens of Horror" collection! Although perfectly Halloween themed, it is not limited edition, so you can grab these colors whenever. There are SO many items in this collection that I had to break my review up into two parts. Look for the second part coming early next week. This collection is based on the bad-assest ladies in the horror world (Is assest a word? It is now.) and it contains 12 loose pigments and two lip products in a variety of colors and finishes. You can purchase this collection in sample, mini, or full sizes, and the best part is that even the mini sizes come with the label art! There's even an option to buy just the lid art. This is a company that gets me. By the way, this fabulous art was created by Angeline Roussel, and if you want to see more of her work, you can check out her website here!

Gaze upon the art. GAZE UPON IT!
The first half of my review will feature the shadows and lip product below. "Possessed Princess", "Shower Scream", "The Bride", "Onryo", "Hello, Clarice","You B*tch", and the "Mistress of Darkness" Pucker Paint. As usual, all loose pigments are swatched over Geek Chic Cosmetics' Power Up Primer.



So, as a kid, The Exorcist freaking terrified me. I would have serious nightmares about the scene where Regan comes crabwalking down the stairs. Now that I'm all grown up, of course.. well it still terrifies me! "Possessed Princess" is an appropriately yellow-green pigment with a metallic finish and purple and blue sparkle.

That's not a laser beam coming out of her mouth.


The next color is called  "Shower Scream". This shadow is based off Marion Crane (played by Janet Leigh)'s famous shower scene in Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho". This is a teal color with a pink sheen and pink sparkles.



From another classic horror film, "The Bride of Frankenstein" we have "The Bride" herself in shadow form. This is a deep deep (almost black) green base with a green and silver sheen.



Oh, Japan. How is it that you make both the cutest things in existence and also movies that will give you nightmares for the rest of your life? Is it some sort of magic? Is it because your words for cute (kawaii) and scary (kowai) are so close together?  The next shadow is based on a movie from the scary end of that spectrum, Ju-On (The Grudge). This shadow is called "Onryo", which can be translated to "Vengeful Spirit". This color is a surprisingly pretty soft mauve with a copper shimmer to it.

Kowai. Definitely kowai. 



"Hello, Clarice." If you're anything like me, you can't read that phrase without hearing it in Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter voice. This shade is based on the character Jodi Foster made famous in "The Silence of the Lambs" and it's an oh my god amazing blue based purple with purple sparkles.





Our final pigment in this half of the review is based off Sigourney Weaver's kick ass character, Ellen Ripley, from the "Alien" movies. Such. A. Bad. Ass. This is a pale army green base with a beautiful blue/green sheen to it.




And finally, we have "Mistress of Darkness". This is a Pucker Paint (Darling Girl's version of liquid lipstick) in a true purple with a metallic purple sheen. It's based of that iconic hostess with the mostest, Elvira.



Final Thoughts: I will put off my final thoughts until I've reviewed the entire collection, but so far I am very impressed by what I see! All of these shadows are very smooth and pigmented, and apply easily with an intense color payoff. And that pucker paint! Wow. I don't usually wear purple lip products, but I may make an exception for this one!














No comments:

Post a Comment