Connect!

Monday, October 5, 2015

Sugarpill : Edward Scissorhands 25th Anniversary Collection

Hey there geekonistas!

*Flails arms wildly around* You guys, you guys!! I got my hands on the new Sugarpill collection and guess what? It's themed around Edward Scissorhands! I remember loving that movie so much when it came out.. 25 years ago, apparently. (Whaaaaaaaaaat? I'm so old T_T)

Anyway, the collection is currently sold out on the Sugarpill website, but they are getting a second shipment in soon, so if it interests you, you can grab it then. The full collection (palette and 2 nail polishes) is $52.00, while the palette alone is $36.00 and the nail polishes are $10.00 each. Sugarpill offers $6.00 flat shipping inside the U.S., with free shipping if you order over $100.

I swatched all of the eyeshadows on bare skin with no primer. I didn't swatch the nail polishes because frankly my nails are ratchet as hell right now and I'm trying desperately to fix them. I will talk a little bit about the color and texture of the polishes though. Let's get to it!

The palette comes in a protective sleeve that looks just like the outside of the regular palette. I thought this was a nice touch to keep it from getting damaged during shipment or when travelling - I feel like it underscores the fact that this is a collector's piece. It is a little bit smaller than I thought it would be from photos, but it still contains an ample amount of shadows.

Full collection
Inside the palette
Inside the palette with a penny for size comparison

The first color in the palette is a matte pastel blue called "Home Sweet Home". I really like this color, but it's definitely going to need a good primer and maybe a white base underneath it to pop the way it does in the pan.

For some reason, my camera doesn't like this color. It's not as gray as it looks here, its closer to the tone of the swatch below

I packed a lot of color on to achieve this vibrancy
Next up we have "Ice Angel" a white base with a blue-violet shift. This is going to make a killer inner corner highlight!





Finishing up the top row is "The Inventor". This is a gunmetal grey with a pearlized silver sheen to it. This would be perfect for a gorgeous smokey eye.





Starting the next row is a matte coral color called "Suburbia". This color has the same problems as "Home Sweet Home" in that it's going to need a really good base underneath to help it pop. Matte pastels always seem really difficult to get to show up on skin well.





Next in the row is "Heart Shaped Cookie". This is a matte tan color. Kind of boring, but a good neutral for a blending/ transition color I guess.


Can you even see it on my skin?

And last up, we have "Castle on the Hill", a matte reddish-brown shade. This had pretty strong pigmentation but, again, a little bit boring.




Now on to the new nail polishes! The first one is called "The Inventor" and it is the nail polish version of the shadow of the same name in the palette. Its a gunmetal grey with lots of silver glitter.
The formula seems very creamy, pigmented, and easy to apply. And check out that packaging! *swoon*


The next nail polish is "Ice Angel", again the polish counterpart of the shadow. Although it may not look it, it's actually a clear base with tons of different sized white flakes in it. When applied, especially over a dark base, it really does look like a snow storm! This is going to lead to a lot of fun winter looks for me!




Final Thoughts: I have a few mixed feelings about this collection. The nail polishes are A+ in my book, but I feel like the palette leaves a little something to be desired. The packaging is brilliant, I love that, and the theme, but I feel like I don't quite understand the inclusion of two matte brown neutrals. I understand that they were probably trying to make this an "all-in-one" kind of palette where you could do an entire eye look just with the shadows included, but personally I would have rather seen the inclusion of two colors I more associate with the movie, like a bright grass green for Edward's topiaries, or something of that sort. Generally, when I think of Sugarpill shadows I think of bright, bold colors, so when I reach for one I'm typically going to use it for a pop of color or an all over bright look. I do feel like the price point is pretty good on a limited edition palette of this quality, so I definitely don't regret purchasing it. I just wonder how often in the future I'm going to reach for it?

So what are your thoughts? Are you going to pick up any part of this collection? If you already have, what do you think of it? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment