Connect!

Thursday, October 1, 2015

September Favorites!

Hey there geekonistas!

Where did September go? Last I remember it was August and I was complaining about the heat.. now it's a whole month later and I'm still complaining about the heat. But, relief is on the horizon, so while I wait for those 80 degree days to roll around, let's talk about some of my random favorites for the month!



Favorite Skin Care: 

Paula's Choice Resist Essentials Kit for Wrinkles + Breakouts
So, at the end of August I started a new skin care routine. To be perfectly honest, I've never had an actual skin care routine before (aside from washing my face and using the occasional face mask) but I am getting on in age and I thought it was probably time to start taking a little better care of my face. So, after looking around for a well-reviewed, cruelty free brand, I settled on Paula's Choice. I have oily, acne prone, large pore skin, so, following their advice on the website I opted to get this kit. It contains a cleanser, exfoliant/toner, day moisturizer with SPF and a night moisturizer. After a month of using these products twice a day I have definitely noticed an improvement in my skin quality! It looks clearer, brighter, and I have way fewer blackheads. Now whether this is all down to the Paula's Choice or just the fact that I'm finally using a toner, serum, and moisturizer everyday, well, who knows. But for now I am super happy with my results and I will continue to use it.


Favorite Subscription Box:

Hello Waffle Cosmetics' Visage



 It's been a hard month for subscription boxes around here. Many of my boxes that were supposed to arrive this month have been delayed, so I haven't been able to review them, and others, like the J-list Japanese snack subscription box, I received but haven't been able to review because I can't eat anything outside of dry toast and chicken breasts right now. Plus, one of my favorite subscription boxes has been discontinued altogether. Sadness. However, of the boxes I did receive this month, I think my favorite has been the Hello Waffle Visage subscription! I loved the theme, the colors were SO fall appropriate, and the care and attention to detail made me so happy. A very close runner up would be Notoriously Morbid's Vanishing Cabinet, the Beetlejuice theme was just so much fun!

Favorite YouTube Channel:

Macshadowcombos


Zabrina also runs MyEyeshadowConsultant.com
Despite the name of the channel, Zabrina doesn't just use M.A.C. products, she has reviews and tutorials featuring all kinds of brands. My favorites are her "Historically Accurate" tutorials and her "Character Transformations", where she features little pop-ups with trivia and information about the looks and characters she creates. She also creates "Frugal Fridayz" videos where she pits drug store brand products against high end ones. She is also incredibly gorgeous, personable, and really funny. I honestly don't understand why she doesn't have more subscribers!

Favorite Palette:

Too Faced - Stardust by Vegas Nay




 I got the Too Faced Star Dust palette by Vegas Nay this month and mmmmmm love! I mean, as a Las Vegas resident, I pretty much HAD to get this palette, and I'm so glad I did! It's sold out on the Too Faced website, but I believe Ulta still has some available. I love the packaging and the color selections, and the shadows (with one or two exceptions) are really nice, smooth, and highly pigmented. "Showgirl", the shimmery copper, is a hands-down winner for me.

Favorite Comic:

Ody-C - written by Matt Fraction and drawn by Christian Ward



I keep trying to come up with ways to describe this comic but... words just won't do it justice. On the surface it's a gender-bent psychedelic sci-fi version of Homer's "The Odyssey" but it's also so much more than that. If you like classic literature, myths, feminism, sci-fi, action, amazing art, great storytelling, or any one of the above, you will like this book A word of warning - the language can be a little bit difficult to decipher at first if you're not familiar with the way Greek poetry was written. If you find yourself getting stuck, a good idea might be to do as the original poems are meant to do read and read it aloud. Oh and another thing: this comic contains violence, sex, and violent sex. Don't say I didn't warn you.



So, that's my random selection of favorite things for September! Do you have any favorites this month? Let me know in the comments!






No comments:

Post a Comment