Connect!

Monday, October 12, 2015

Darling Girl Cosmetics: Queens of Horror, Part Two

Hey there geekonistas!

So today I've got part two of my review of the Darling Girl Cosmetics Halloween collection, "Queens of Horror!" You can find all the deets on this collection in my first post so let's just get started and roll that beautiful swatch footage!

Today's review contains the second six shadows and the "balm gloss 3D" lip gloss.




For our first loose eye shadow, we have "Hotel Hell". This color is based on Shelley Duvall playing "Wendy" from The Shining. Its a soft lavender color with a purple sheen and a very soft, pretty finish.


The next shadow is called "Got Face?" This is of course based on the iconic "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" movie, where Marilyn Burns plays the unlucky but indomitable Sally Hardesty. The Darling Girl website describes this color as pewter with pink to gold shifting sparkle, but I pick up a lot of purple in this one for some reason.

That is the face of a woman DONE with being fucked with.


"Do You Like Scary Movies?" Obviously, or I wouldn't be reviewing this collection, amirite? The title here refers to the movie "Scream" in which the lovely Neve Campbell plays the beleaguered Sidney Prescott. The color is a blue based purple with what the Darling Girl website calls a pink sheen but I see as aqua with pink sparkles. If you're thinking "Hey, that looks really similar to 'Got Face?'", well you're not alone.


So, okay guys. There is where my meager knowledge of the Horror genre has let me down. I know I should know who this is but I can't figure it out. Will some kind person enlighten me in the comments below? This color is called "Queen of Scream" and its a GORGEOUS metallic peach with gold sparkles.
 UPDATE: Darling Girl Cosmetics has kindly let me know that this is Jamie Lee Curtis, who, is, of course THE Queen of Scream, starring in many, many horror movies before hawking yogurt for a couple years then returning to her roots in the (awesome) new show "Scream Queens"! (Are you watching this? You should be.)



 For our next lovely lady, we have "Married to the Macabre". Again, my knowledge failed me and I had to go to my husband for help identifying this one. Turns out it is Adrienne Barbeau, who not only starred in many of John Carpenter's films, but was also married to him. (*Dun dun dunnnnnn!*) This color seems to be a true darling of the collection, with a lot of people getting very enthusiastic about it, and its easy to see why. This is a brown base with a powerful green to gold shift that was difficult for me to capture. It's easier to see in artificial light but since I am a hack I can only photograph in natural light.



 And our final shadow in the collection, "Prom Queen". This color is based off of a movie that was based off of a book that made me spend my entire high school career wishing I had telekinetic powers. I'm talking, of course, about "Carrie", where Sissy Spacek plays the title character. This is a rusty (can one say "blood"?) red with a bronze sheen and pink sparkles.



 And now... drumroll please! Our final, final product from the "Queens of Horror" collection - The "I'm Into Survival" balm gloss 3D! This is my first lip gloss from Darling Girl and it's really cool. The delivery mechanism is a brush at the end of the tube, and you rotate the base to push the product up into the brush. The color is a really nice semi-opaque medium pink with aqua sparkle. Oh and of course, since no Horror collection would be complete without "Nightmare on Elm Street", this gloss is based on Nancy Thompson, played by the winsome Heather Lagenkamp.



Left: One pass Right: multiple passes/smoothing

Final Thoughts: Whew, what a ride! I think I did okay in most of the identification, with only a few exceptions! On the whole, I would say this collection is definitely a winner. It has a good range of colors with great pigmentation and great references and cover art. I would definitely recommend picking it up if you are a fan of horror! Unfortunately, Darling Girl does tend to have a really long TAT (turn around time) and right now its at 20-22 business days, which means you probably won't be able to get this collection in time for Halloween. But luckily, true horror fans are year round, so you can enjoy these shadows no matter what the season.

So what do you think of the "Queens of Horror" collection? Are you planning on picking it or any of the individual shadows/lip products up?

You can find part one of my review here.


No comments:

Post a Comment