Connect!

Friday, December 11, 2015

Blogmas Day Eleven: Comics Binge!

Hey there geekonistas!

So, there is still no sun today, making trying to take pictures of anything colorful a tricky proposition. Instead, I thought maybe I could share some of the comics I just can't get enough of right now with you! Maybe you will find them cool too? (I think you will.) These are currently running series only, because honestly if I were to list every old and new comic I love this post would turn into a 300 page dissertation.



Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur


This comic is a gem. It stars Lunella, an academically gifted young girl with a keen interest in science, (but not so good at fitting in with her peers) who befriends giant dinosaur sent through a time portal. I mean... who didn't dream of that when they were young?! The only problem I had with this comic (my own science nerd coming out to play) is when Lunella argues with her teacher that evolution is not a "theory" because it's backed up by a lot of research and consensus among biologists. This works if you are using the layperson's definition of the word "theory" as something like an informed guess, but in scientific terms a "theory" is a lot more solid than that. Then again, this is the Marvel universe, not ours, so maybe they have proven evolution as a law. In any case, nitpicks aside, I absolutely adore this comic and can't wait to see where it leads!


Ms. Marvel

 


Ms. Marvel. What can I say about Ms. Marvel beyond the fact that it's really, really good? The comic follows the story of Kamala Khan, a young Pakistani American from New Jersey who gains shapeshifting powers and becomes Marvel's first Muslim superhero. Kamala has strength, bravery, compassion, and a good dose of teenage goofiness. She's a nuanced and very relatable character, dealing with the same issues many of us have faced. The "Last Days" storyline from the recent Secret Wars event just.. broke my heart. Highly, highly recommended.


Jughead

Do you remember Archie comics? I think pretty much everyone knows Archie comics, they've been around, being continually published, for like.. the last 50 years or so? Well, recently, the publishers of Archie decided it was time the gang got an update - bringing them into the 21st century, if you will. One of the results of this is that the lovable, lazy, hamburger-devouring Jughead got his own comic. I have to admit, I was never that into Archie, but when I saw the creative team on this book (Chip Zdarsky, who writes Sex Criminals and Howard the Duck, and Erica Henderson, who draws Squirrel Girl) I just had to pick it up. True to form, the comic is absolutely hilarious. I think whether you are a fan of the old Archie comics or you've never picked one up in your life, this comic is just a good time.

Power Up

 

 
Speaking of silly romps, Power Up is another fantastically fun time. This is mini series (for now), that follows the adventure of three ordinary people (and one fish) who are granted extraordinary powers. One of my many favorite parts is the manly construction worker who is given a magical girl style transformation broach, and is trying to deal with the inconvenience of transformation-logic. Where DO the clothes they were wearing before go?


Plutona


And on the very opposite end of the spectrum, we have Plutona. This is a dark, disturbing story about five kids that make a horrifying discovery in the woods - the body of a superhero. This book is an uncomfortable read, but well worth it.
 

I Hate Fairyland



Speaking of disturbing - Skottie Young's newest creator owned work, I Hate Fairyland, is right up there near top level of disturbing yet fun. I Hate Fairyland (Original title "Fuck Fairyland") follows the adventures of Gert, a violent, foul-mouthed thirty-seven-year-old trapped in the body of an eight-year-old, desperately trying to find her way out of Fairyland. Imagine the Wizard of Oz, but if Dorothy were a homicidal psychopath. Fun, gross, and funny gross.

Figment




Figment is actually in it's second series now! Yay! Part of the "Disney Kingdoms" series that turns beloved Disney Parks atrractions into comic books, Figment follows the former star of the Imagination Pavilion in Epcot, Dreamfinder, with his adorable friend/mascot Figment as they journey through the realms of Imagination and beyond. I've always been a huge Figment fan, so of course I was all over this when it came out. The story is fun and the artwork is gorgeous!

Silver Surfer

 If you are a fan of Doctor Who, it's very likely that you will enjoy the current incarnation of Silver Surfer. In it, the Silver Surfer, once a Herald of Galactus, now a cosmic hero, begins travelling throughout time and space with an ordinary Earth girl named Dawn. Hmmm sound familiar? The relationship between the Surfer and Dawn is fun to watch develop, and the scrapes they get themselves into (and the ways they get themselves out) are interesting and appealing. I'm actually a little behind on this one right now because issue 12 really needs to be read on paper to get the full effect and my husband's copy kind of got shuffled around somewhere during the move. I'll find it soon, I'm sure! 

Bombshells 
 And finally, Bombshells! This is probably the most traditional superhero comic I have on my list right now. It comes out weekly and is actually based around a series of statuettes that were produced by DC. It's basically a story about DC's heroines (and villianesses), but set in World War II. The art and character designs are superb and, though it may not break any new ground in comics, it's just overall a fun read.

Well that's it for now! I have a huge backlog of comics I'm trying to get around to reading, too, so who knows what gems are waiting in my Comixology app? What are some of your favorite comics, old or new? Let me know in the comments!

And as always, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment