Connect!

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Blogmas Day Twelve: Espionage Cosmetics' BOOM Box

Hey there geekonistas!

So wow, I just got this box in the mail yesterday and I am really excited to share it with you today! This is the first of Espionage Cosmetics' brand new subscription box, the BOOM Box!




Espionage Cosmetics is an indie company that creates cruelty free loose pigments and glitters, lip products, bath bombs, and of course their most famous product - the "Nailed It" line of geek inspired nail wraps! This box comes out bi-monthly and has a variety of prices depending on your payment plan. Paying per box is $30.00 (plus tax and shipping) every other month, while a four month subscription (two boxes) is $56.00 ($28.00 per box), a six month subscription (three boxes) is $81.00 ($27.00 per box) and a year (six boxes) is $150.00 ($25.00 per box). The December box is currently sold out, but you can sign up for the next box in February. The boxes will include a wide variety of items from clothing and accessories to makeup, collectibles, art and more. Also included will be at least one brand new nail wrap design per box.

Let's check out what was included in this month's box! First up, I enjoyed the packaging a lot. The bright pink box let me know right away that something special was in my mailbox. The inside also had custom tissue paper with the logo printed on it, which was nice, plus a card with a ton of information about each individual product and the brand that made it, which I really appreciate!




Recently, Espionage Cosmetics partnered with Bombsheller, (who seriously make the best leggings on the market) and came out with a "Wyvern Scale" design that make your legs look like they are covered in dragon scale. Pretty awesome, right? So, for this BOOM box, Espionage took some of the fabric that was used to create the leggings and sewed them up into these cool headbands. The best part, to my thinking, is the awareness of their target audience that Espionage shows here by purposefully  making these headbands to be accessorized by pins! It comes with this awesome "Self Rescuing Princess" pin already attached, but, like most geek girls/subscription box addicts, I have a plethora of pins that I will enjoy displaying on this headband.


Speaking of the Wyvern Scale design, this month's new nail wrap is exactly that! If you're not familiar with nail wraps, they are a super easy way to get nail art without having to go to a salon or try to mess around with it yourself. You just peel off the back, apply it to your nail, and then file off any overhang. Espionage even included a nail file in the box in case you don't have one. I don't know if you can see in the picture, but the wraps have cool glitter scales interspersed throughout.


Next up we have a gorgeous limited edition print plus a coloring page from the very talented Sam Skyler. This print is pretty small, but it's on this cool textured paper that feels like canvas, and is actually hand numbered! (I got 128 of 500). This is honestly probably the nicest print I've ever gotten from a subscription box. AND it includes QR codes you can scan to watch videos of the creation process of each piece. (The original piece was actually made using Espionage's loose pigments for color!)


Espionage also included some festive holiday treats, starting with this limited edition cosmetic glitter called "E.L.F.S". This is a mix of red, green and gold glitter. I love you guys and I would totally swatch this for you but the last time I tried to swatch glitter was a total disaster and I am still trying to get the glitter out of the carpet. Just please, take my word for it, it's very pretty and sparkly and glittery.

 
Another festive treat is this NPC (Nerd Preferred Clean) bath bomb in the scent "Peppermint Forest" This smells very pepperminty and the cupcake shape is very cute! The "frosting" portion is a sugar scrub, while the "cake" portion is the bath bomb. I love the smell of peppermint, so I can't wait to use this!


Speaking of lovely smells, I was super excited when I heard that Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab was going to have an item in this month's box! The item turned out to be a sample from BPAL's latest collection, based on "Crimson Peak". This is actually really cool, since Crimson Peak is one of the collections that you cannot get samples for from BPAL's website. Though the card says "Beware", the scent is "Edith Cushing", which is described as "pearlescent vanilla musk with white sandalwood, grey amber, white patchouli, ambrette seed, and oudh." It's a really nice vanilla scent with some musk to it.


And finally, we have a pendant echoing the "Wyvern Scale" theme, produced by Optimystical studios. This is just the pendant, not a full necklace, which I like because I find a lot of necklaces really irritate my skin, so I prefer to use ones I know are safe. It also has a quote printed on it - "Never laugh at live dragons, you fool". Wise words indeed from Bilbo Baggins.


Final Thoughts: In case you couldn't tell, I really liked this month's box! I thought the items were all well chosen and I will get use out of all of them. Or at least enjoy looking at them. I was actually a beta tester for Espionage Cosmetics' trial run of subscription boxes and, to be honest, I was not that impressed. Every box I got was basically full of nail wraps, which are fun, but there are only so many one person can use, you know? I wasn't going to sign up for the public release of the box, but when I heard that they were including a variety of items instead of just wraps, I thought I would give it a try, and man, am I glad I did!  It seems like Espionage really took the data and feedback they gathered from beta testing seriously and produced a pretty amazing box. I definitely look forward to seeing what they put out in the future!

So what did you think of the Espionage Cosmetics' BOOM box this month? Any favorite items? Let me know in the comments!

As always, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment