Connect!

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Blogmas Day Ten: Baroness X Whovian Box

Hey there geekonistas!

Welcome to day ten of my Blogmas challenge, or as I like to call it, "trying to capture photos of gorgeous colors without having any actual light"! See, when I started this challenge, I failed to take into account that weather is notoriously fickle, and would likely not cooperate with me on all of the days. And of course, I'm way too disorganized to do any of this in advance! Ahahahahahsob.

In any case, I am going to try my best to do this box justice. This was the super limited edition Whovian box put out by Baroness X, who makes indie, cruelty free, awesome nail polishes and demiflux, who makes some incredible hand made jewelry. There were only thirty of these Doctor Who dedicated boxes made, but you can still get three of the four nail polish colors on the Baroness X website! The only one you can no longer buy is Trenzalore, which was exclusive to the box. The box also included "mani bombs", two kinds of shaped soap, a sample of cuticle balm, earrings, and came with a choice of necklace, ring, or bracelet. There was also a card with information about each product, plus an exclusive one of a kind discount code.




Now before I begin, let me preface this by saying that I am in no way a nail polish swatching expert. I do not have strong nails at all, and I do a lot of manual labor so they are always breaking. I do still enjoy nail polish a lot, but my nails are definitely nothing I would want to post pictures of. So, I swatched all of these on acrylic display nails. Basically, I just want you to be able to see the gorgeous colors!

Let's start off with one of the coolest features of the box! This is the color "Chameleon Circuit", and the box it was packaged in is a teeny Tardis with an actual flashing light! How utterly adorable. The card describes this color as "a Tardis-like blue holographic jelly with ultra thin, ultra holo silver glitter." The first thing I noticed when opening the jar was that the brush included is really thick - it actually makes painting nails evenly a lot easier since you don't have to use as many strokes. The polish applied like a dream, with an even distribution of glitter.


One coat
Two coats

Next up is the box exclusive, "Trenzalore". This is a "dusty deep purple with blue to purple shifty glass microflakes". Again, great application and I love this color! It's very subtle, but the flashes keep it from being at all boring.


One coat

Two coats
Then we have "Silence, Boy!" because who doesn't love Strax and the Paternoster Gang? This is a pale grey "crelly" (cross between a creme and a jelly, apparently, had to look that up. Also, sounds like a tasty donut) with "sterling silver flakes, and gold/green/blue chrome flakes". I didn't think I was going to like this one based on the bottle, but once applied it really surprised me with how gorgeous it is.


One coat

Two coats
And the last color is "Vashta Nerada" named after the second creepiest monster in the Russell T. Davies years. (The first is the weeping angels, of course.) This is a black glitter polish with flakes that shift from blue-green to purple. This one gave me the most application trouble - it wasn't too bad, but it did take a little extra effort to get the glitter applied evenly. If more than one coat is applied it gives you a really cool textured effect though.

One coat
Two coats

Aside from the polishes, the box also included some mani bombs, which are like bath bomb but just for your hands. These are in the scent "All of Time and Space" which is described as "frozen mango, raspberry sorbet, sugar champagne, fressia, cashmere musk". Whatever it is, I like it, it has a good combo of fruity and floral aromas. Unfortunately, it seems like some of mine got smashed in transit, but I'll just use a scoop to get the powder out.


We also have some adorable mini shaped soaps! The Dalek is mint, cucumber, clementine, cyclamen blossom, lily, and cactus scented (what DOES a cactus smell like? I've never smelled one!) and the Tardis is bergamot and pink grapefruit. Both smell really good and both are going to be a lot of fun to use.

Exterminate germs!
Next up we have a "sample" size of Matte Cuticle Balm. I put sample in quotes because even though this is a smaller size, I can still see it lasting for a good long time. This version is unscented and felt very moisturizing yet absorbed quickly.


And finally we have the two jewelry pieces. The first is a pair of earring that are painted with the "Chameleon Circuit" color. They look really nice and like something I will probably wear! I chose the bracelet for my second jewelry option, and even though I like it a lot (it glows in the dark!) I won't be able to wear it as it does not fit on my giant man-wrists. And in a final bout of irony, when I was trying to hook the clasp back together my nail broke.

 
Final Thoughts: I thought this box was really cool and I had a lot of fun with both the main elements and the extras! I think my favorite polish is "Chameleon Circuit", though I really liked them all, and "Silence, Boy!" surprisingly so. 

So, what do you think of the box? Who is YOUR doctor? Mine is the tenth. I started watching the show with Eccleston but didn't really fall in love until David Tennant hit the scene. I still miss him. And I still mourn for Donna. 

Anyway, thanks for hanging out!

No comments:

Post a Comment